Click here to find out more on Amazon.

Unveiling the Diesel Bug: A Boat Owner's Wake-Up Call

Vlog series on Youtube
Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

If you're a proud boat owner, this article is a must-read. Today, I'm delving into the insidious world of the diesel bug and why every boat enthusiast should know its potential havoc. I'm about to share my recent experience pulling out my boat's fuel tank, revealing the destructive force of the diesel bug.

The Diesel Bug Unveiled

The diesel bug is not a myth; it's a real menace that can wreak havoc on your boat's fuel system. Contrary to popular belief, it's not some feeble imitation; it's the genuine article. Originating from the high seas, this living organism, a consortium of bacteria, filamentous moulds, and yeasts, thrives on the hydrocarbons in your fuel, creating biomass, biofilms, and damaging byproducts.

The Silent Intruder

I discovered the diesel bug infestation when I attempted to collect and filter it from my fuel tank, only to find it clogging everything up. It's a disgusting sight, and I can assure you, that this organism has a preference for residing in your diesel tank. Moisture is its ally, making it essential to keep your tank consistently full to prevent its infiltration.

Unveiling the Fuel Tank: A 40-Year Time Capsule

As I pulled out my boat's tank, which hadn't seen the light of day since the boat's construction some 40 years ago, the extent of the diesel bug's damage became apparent. The tank was riddled with this corrosive intruder, prompting the need for immediate action.

The Restoration Process

Cleaning up the tank involved a rigorous process. Jet washing the interior and exterior was the first step. This revealed the nasty residue left by the diesel bug. I commenced the cleanup using a grinder and red oxide primer, ensuring every nook and cranny was addressed.

Unexpected Challenges

The process revealed unexpected challenges, such as holes at the bottom of the tank. Astonishingly, these holes hadn't caused leaks, possibly due to the diesel bug preventing further deterioration. To address this, a decision was made to cut out the damaged section for repair.

The Crux of the Matter

Diesel bug isn't just an inconvenience; it's a silent corrosion agent. As I explored the tank, I discovered a tide mark at the bottom caused by the diesel bug, which had been silently corroding the tank for years. It had even rotted the bottom to a point where repair was no longer viable.

Lessons Learned and Urgent Warnings

This experience has been an eye-opener. Filling your boat with diesel doesn't guarantee safety; the diesel bug might be lurking at the bottom, corroding your tank without you even knowing. Regular maintenance, including thorough cleaning and inspections, is crucial to prevent catastrophic engine damage.

Final Thoughts

The diesel bug is a formidable adversary that demands attention. This article serves as a warning to fellow boat owners to inspect their tanks regularly, even if they seem fine on the surface. Ignoring this intruder could lead to severe consequences, as showcased by the holes and corrosion in my own tank. Don't let the diesel bug silently sabotage your boating experience; take preventive measures, and enjoy smooth sailing for years to come.
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum