Lesson to be learned

Any security or safety issues regarding the Broads waterways.
Obstacles, vandalism, thefts, trees down etc.
David

Lesson to be learned

Post by David » August 22nd, 2017, 6:19 pm

Well today's lesson is not to try and remove your outboard from your dingy without help as I found out to my cost this evening back at my mooring, while attempting to take my outboard off my dingy which was not secured to my boat by the davits I over balanced and my outboard whent in the drink with me holding onto it leaving me half in the dingy and half in the river, with help got the outboard back on the quay, it then took about 30 frantic minutes to get back on the boat, I had to remove my inflated life jacket but could not get back up onto the swim ladder on the boat as the bottom rung is to high, I ended up using a mooring rope cleated off to make a loop, after this incident I will be purchasing an emergency ladder just in case of a repeat performance

A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

High Seas

Re: Lesson to be learned

Post by High Seas » August 22nd, 2017, 6:45 pm

Fresh water I presume?
Apparently when they fall in sea water it is best to leave them submerged till ready for flushing out. Oxygen and water needed for rust and the salt increases conductivity of water and oxidises quicker.
Least you got it back.

David

Post by David » August 22nd, 2017, 7:43 pm

Yes luckily it was at mooring in Stalham got outboard in back of car taking it home to sort it out, only one boat offered to help me out of the river though plenty came passed

Hylander

Post by Hylander » August 23rd, 2017, 8:32 am

Yes luckily it was at mooring in Stalham got outboard in back of car taking it home to sort it out, only one boat offered to help me out of the river though plenty came passed.

Either they didnt see you which is understable but to not stop when someone is struggling in the water is unforgivable.

High Seas

Post by High Seas » August 23rd, 2017, 8:45 am

Probably thought it was being pinched lol, you might be on FB.

David

Post by David » August 23rd, 2017, 10:07 am

Oh yes they were laughing on way past on a trial run to

Hylander

Post by Hylander » August 23rd, 2017, 12:24 pm

Wait until it happens to them, see how flaming funny it is then.

David

Post by David » August 23rd, 2017, 6:16 pm

I didn't realise how difficult it was to get out once you end up in the drink even with a bathing ladder on the boat, there was no safety ladders on the quay heading to help me get out, just priced up one for the boat and for £40 I think it's going to be a good investment, the outboard runs ok again took it home dried it out and it purrs like a kitten good old Yamaha 2 stroke

High Seas

Post by High Seas » August 23rd, 2017, 6:31 pm

You can get those bagged safety ladders that sit in pouches.
I rescued a female canoeist once and had to put a step ladder in the water to get her out.
I am not too sure whether I could get back on mine to be honest.

David

Post by David » August 23rd, 2017, 7:19 pm

Yes that was for a bagged 5 rung safety ladder, at least my life jacket inflated hell of a way to test it though oh well £19.99 for new service kit would have been cheaper to swimm in Beccles Lido