How Not To Be A Liveaboard.

All liveaboard related posts.
High Seas
Site Admin

Re: How Not To Be A Liveaboard.

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 5:18 pm

Where about exactly?

A garboard drain light on the Broads? Nah!

Scardinus

Post by Scardinus » December 22nd, 2017, 5:22 pm

Was moored right on the end of the ba moorings, old door laying there, various lumps of wood, did think you would struggle to get the life saving rope from the board if you needed it!

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 24th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Scardinus wrote:
December 22nd, 2017, 5:13 pm
Fair bit of crap on the bank at Sutton this afternoon, did get a wave from the owner, maybe more of an apology the way I was looking at it all!
There is a whole lot of crap there now, quickly starting to resemble the rubbish on the way to Wayford.

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 25th, 2017, 1:34 pm

There were bins in the trees up there, have they gone? I can count 2 black bin bags of rubbish where I am on Wroxham island and further up towards Wroxham on the starboard side as you go upstream there is a bucket with rubbish in it thrown in the trees.... Yesterday as I arrived here my sonar picked up an underwater object that was quite large and indicating it was metal.... Took half an hour to get it out with magnet and grappling hook.... Fire pit style BBQ and there is something else nearer to the bank also metal but have been unable to hook it up... Will try later when my painkillers kick in! Once again unable to attach photos so just use your imagination! If there were more bins out I would go round collecting the rubbish but if you do it now you have the problem of where do you put it as there are no bins!
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol:

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 25th, 2017, 3:26 pm

I went down to Wayford again earlier today to finish of some bits and pieces and this time I got to have a good look at the fly-tipping.
Sadly, it is far more severe than I first realised and the area well and truly has been very heavily spoilt.
There is debris everywhere and at least two wooden beds I think and a round table perhaps and the rest is just non describable wooden junk mainly.
It is absolutely appalling and there is no way in hell that people will have gone passed and not seen it.
It's really bad I am afraid.

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 25th, 2017, 4:47 pm

Well, if somone can persuade the BA to bring a skip to the nearest mooring, and lend me an aluminium skiff, I would volunteer to go clear it up.....if the boat in question is being prosecuted for fly tipping surely part of the punishment should be to go clear it up? As you said earlier, if that's on the land, what's in the water? What will it take for the BA to kick the persons who are producing all this rubbis, not paying tolls, not complying with BSS and having insurance, off the river? So they have no home but their boat? But it's not just one boat, there are 3 and a houseboat.... Why are we targeted by the people in the area and asked to move on by the BA when people are obviously flouting the rules.... I believe the person concerned owns a shop in N Walsham and a large van.... Surely they can afford a flat? The council seem to be quite good at providing houses for the vulnerable and people fleeing war torn countries, surely they can provide a house for somone who has income ( from the shop) but no real home? Must we who live on the broads, who respect the broads and the wildlife within, who pay through our tolls to maintain the broads and follow the rules laid down by the Authority who maintain the Broads, be expected to rub shoulders along with people who obviously just want to use the system and use this area of outstanding natural beauty as their dustbin so they can continue to rub our law abiding noses in the fact that they can do what they want when they want with no hindrance or punishment? I always thought the Broads authority was actually looking after the Enviroment? They seize un tolled and unsafe boats, they prosecute landowners who put quay heading in with no planning consent, yet they seem powerless to stop somone who is accumulating boats and dumping rubbish by the river side? Maybe they only prosecute people who they know will bow down to them and accept their ruling. Maybe if you flout the rules and get " angry" with the Rangers they will let you do what you want? Is this how they want us to become? The lesson seems to be that If you ignore the rules and regulations and the Broads Authority as an Authority then you can do what you want on the Broads. So next time they come along and move me on due to 19 complaints that I'm being neat and tidy on a " trespass mooring" maybe I shall say " no, I'm staying put so what you going to do about it? Kick me off? Seize my tolled, insured and BSS compliant boat? Make me homeless?" Hahahaha I would end up in court and fined and I would pay up because I'm honest and law abiding. But as we know being honest and law abiding cuts no ice with the BA or citizens of the area who just want us off " their" river.... We all go and the only ones left will be dishonest non lawabiding residents who seem to be untouchable! Nice!
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol:

Rick H

Post by Rick H » December 25th, 2017, 5:25 pm

I think if you look at the broads act you will find that BA have their hands tied if the vessels are on someone else's land , with the exception of unsafe vessels which they can after inspection remove , they cannot as CRT can do make anyone who is living afloat homeless by the destruction of vessels tolled or un tollled , and that's why countless people continue to live afloat not paying tolls yr after yr and have the maximum of £5 per week deducted from DWP payments , think of it as a form of credit I'm sure they do , however their boat is never logged as tolled on the BA toll checker and they might escape the attention of such as the EDP but they do not escape the BA chairman's report that ends up on many forums and then on in is on the public domain and can be freely shared anywhere , all you need to know is the persons surname and its very easy to trace those who refused to pay .
Until there is a change to the broads act then nothing will change , that I believe requires a chance via the government who seam to be rather busy at the moment and there is obviously a large cost to all this a lot of which will be soaked up by those that toll their boats .
As always if you want change then be prepared to pay for it and this includes the rubbish situation which is a council issue not a BA one , though I totally agree it is ruining the broads .

Hylander

Post by Hylander » December 25th, 2017, 5:31 pm

I just hope the BA reads your post. It is just not fair.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 25th, 2017, 5:33 pm

The problem is not just the disgraceful mess he has left on the bankside or the fact that he is now effectively squatting on Sutton staithe with a flotilla of derelict vessels.
The real problem is that if something pretty effective is not being seen to be done then I strongly suspect that the general public will get involved and the situation would be very likely to escalate into aggression or criminal damage.
People are very passionate about the Norfolk Broads and quite rightly so. When you see such activities as this playing out, then unless the situation is handled promptly and properly by the authorities, then it could get seriously out of hand.
If someone has blatantly demonstrated such a total disregard for the environment as this person has, then it is fair to say that other people's property from boats to businesses is quite possibly at risk from an individual such as this.
This situation should not be underestimated and I just hope it gets dealt with swiftly and severely because personally I am gob smacked by what I have seen.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 25th, 2017, 5:42 pm

If someone does not pay their tolls, as far as I am concerned that is between the law courts and the BA.
However, when I see someone destroying the environment before my own eyes, then we are all no better if we allow it to continue.
I would urge anyone who has access to a boat on the north Broads to go see the site for themselves and see exactly what has been done.
If the bloke wants to have a protest at Sutton Staithe for whatever reason then good luck with that....nobody quite rightly could give two shits but destroying the environment, that is a whole different affair.