How Not To Be A Liveaboard.

All liveaboard related posts.
High Seas
Site Admin

How Not To Be A Liveaboard.

Post by High Seas » December 21st, 2017, 12:52 pm

What can I say?
Other than quite frankly I think it is a disgrace.
It takes just one individual to ruin it for everyone else.
Not only are they destroying the environment but they are also destroying it for anyone else who wishes to reside on their boats.
What you see here is not by any means a representation of a liveaboard.
What I see here is mental illness as who would carry on like this other than someone with poor mental health?
A bit harsh you may think?
I don't, I think it is what it is.
It is no wonder that liveaboards are frowned upon when you have individuals carrying on like this.
I am a liveaboard and I do not condone it at all and although I wouldn't want to speak for other liveaboards, I am pretty sure the vast majority would not want to be associated with this anti social behaviour on the river.
It is sad to see it.
2017-12-21_12-49-26.jpg

Liveaboard or liveathome?.....that is the question

Waylander

Re: How Not To Be A Liveaboard.

Post by Waylander » December 21st, 2017, 5:51 pm

Seconded! And this was how I found out that I was being associated with the owner of this mess! I was tipped off by a ranger that if I typed in the "name of my boat And her make and length and Norfolk Broads" on google images it came up with a picture of this boat and a houseboat AND a rather decrepit cruiser type and the link was to the " official Norfolk broads web site" and I found I was being written about as if I was of this ilk! As if I was associated with these owners! Then later on in a pub I actually overheard somone slagging off my boat and myself and saying that I was part of the gypsy encampment and rubbish dumping wreck boat group!

Ok..... They don't think that now! And everyone that has had a go at me on said web site has either appologised or met with me and appologised but only after I posted my "story" for all to see! Up to that point I was being tarred with a very tarry brush!

However I'm still getting moved on from places or complained about if I'm on someone's favorite fishing place or on a trespass mooring where other people more deserving than me should be able to moor!

But it seems to be a little unfair that people can lump me and my boat in with that lot and I'm still " not allowed" to moor certain places, yet this boat and its associated brethren, have been round these waters for at least 8 yrs that I know of! Yet no one kicks them off or starts a petition to get them off the river or sends the BA round to their boat to get them moved on because they are a blight on the landscape! No one has a go at them for all that mess yet I'm frowned upon for having a washing line up! Notice no one complains about washing lines in back gardens of the modern houses that line the river banks and some of the complainants actually live in those houses! You don't want me around but you are fine with the boats that leave rubbish on the banks? Weird. I'm told that the rest of this flotilla of a Housboat and cruiser and various other boats are now on Sutton Staithe..... Well I for one won't be going that way in the near future!

Hopefully the pic I've up loaded will actually work. This is that flotilla of shanty boats that came up on Google images when I typed my boat name and type of boat in. I was being associated with this lot! Some people still believe that this is my boat! It's not!!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
I'm not ok but this is?
image.jpeg (25.48 KiB) Viewed 938 times
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol:

Hylander

Post by Hylander » December 22nd, 2017, 8:09 am

An interesting post. I do agree with you , these boats do give the live aboard community a bad name , however the BA or whoever must know of them and allow them to remain. Seems to be one rule for them and one rule for you. Mind you there are a few hirers that leave the informal moorings in a bad state as well. Might not be hanging out the washing but they leave the land in a disgusting state. Imagine what their homes are like.

Oh dear I am on my soap box , it must be Christmas . I would put a Christmas smiley but I cannot see any.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 9:14 am

The impression I get is he is just too much for them to cope with.
He has four boats now, that one in the bushes with all the flytipping which is so bad my blood is still boiling the next day.
I did hear that he was being prosecuted for flytipping but whether that is true I can not say.
You see when you have someone being prosecuted for mooring up for extended periods then they can only get prosecuted the one time, if you see what I mean?
So in this case his attitude is clearly well I am not moving now or clearing my mess up as I can't get prosecuted ad infinitum.
Personally, it is the toll payers who will ultimately have to pay the clear up costs, so I would personally suggest that his vessels be seized to cover the costs and you might see a change in behaviour then.
Up untill now, I have always felt that one should live and let live, however, what you have here now is environmental crimes which are going to impact the wildlife. Furthermore, these actions are destructive to others who wish to reside on their boats. So this is now personal.
Of all the boaters I have met on the Norfolk Broads in my time here, I have not met one person who would dream of behaving this way in any shape of form.
I am outraged and furthermore I will defend my lifestyle and if idiots like this carry on like this, then they deserve everything they have coming to them.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 9:59 am

Another point is in the top photo you can see all the crap in the riverbank but what goes through my mind is what is in the water too?

avg45

Post by avg45 » December 22nd, 2017, 3:01 pm

I totally agree with all the above sentiments regarding the above, and have even chatted to a Ranger about what they can do about it. The reply was " if we seize that collection of boats we are making them homeless, and we have no way of enforcing any fines or financial penalties as an injunction has to be served and they can just move before they can be served, and if we can get them to court they plead poverty and don't pay any fines" This was an unofficial reply but, it sounds as if the BA have their hands tied a bit . I wish that something could be done. I don't live on my boat all the time but, am on it for around 30 week a year so I think it qualifies as me being a live a board boat owner tarred with the same brush a the diddy encampment referred to above :evil:

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 3:26 pm

Life swings in roundabouts.
Most folks would be happy to turn a blind eye to an eyesore but this is just taking the ****.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 3:32 pm

I don't think punishing people really solves any issues in the long run but I think forcing people to take responsibility for their actions does.
There is a mess beyond description, he has to be held accountable for it.
Slapping a fine on someone is not going to change anything but making them clean it up will and that does not mean throwing it in the river.
If the river authorities can't handle this then it is a police matter.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 3:39 pm

Scardinus

Post by Scardinus » December 22nd, 2017, 5:13 pm

Fair bit of crap on the bank at Sutton this afternoon, did get a wave from the owner, maybe more of an apology the way I was looking at it all!