How long can my boat stay on an out of the way wild mooring?

erm

All liveaboard related posts.
Bigfoot Jamie

How long can my boat stay on an out of the way wild mooring?

Post by Bigfoot Jamie » October 4th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Heya.

I'm going to be over wintering on the broads this winter, living on my boat.

There will be times when i need to go to London for a few days, maybe up to 5 days.

How long can i leave my boat tucked away? Obviously not on any official mooring.

I'm probably going to spend most of my time on the southern broads.

your thoughts & experience are most.

Cheers

James

Miles
Site Admin

Re: How long can my boat stay on an out of the way wild mooring?

Post by Miles » October 4th, 2017, 7:41 pm

According to the Broads byelaws you got 28 days. However, pick your spot well as there are some trouble makers on the Broads who like to cause problems for liveaboards.
There is a copy of the byelaws on here somewhere, just type byelaws in the search box.
Failing that, email the BA control. They are generally most helpful.
Man will be what he was born to be, free and independent. - JFK.

High Seas

Post by High Seas » October 4th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Personally, I would have thought it may be a different story down there. I say that because on the north broads there are so many places to do a wild mooring.
I can't really think of a location on the south broads where I would be happy to leave my boat for sometime unattended on a wild mooring. In fact where can you really do a wild mooring on the river Yare?

fourways

Post by fourways » October 4th, 2017, 9:56 pm

hi james if you moor on a wild mooring most dont have a path to them so you would have to have a means to get from the boat and back.if you are only going to london now and then i would contact boat yards and ask if they have visiting moorings
brundal bay charge £17 a day seems a lot but your boat would be safe and you would be near a train station.

Rick H

Post by Rick H » October 4th, 2017, 11:46 pm

28 day ? BA don't own hardly any land bank side so they have no control , that doesn't mean do as you please BTW but endeavour to find out who looks after the land such as NWT or better still the land owner and work from there , lots of boats around Norwich are for want of a better phrase dumped on wild Mooring's with zero respect for the land or the land owner's , and that's half the problem they get others a bad name , if your seen to be moving about by BA then they are OK its when folk take up residency on BA Mooring's they kick off where as wild Mooring's ate nothing to do with them , the golden rule with wild Mooring's is respect , don't clutter the bank as so often happens and then people generally leave you alone , with regards to those that for some reason have it In for those that choose to be different and live afloat certain members of a well-known forum are quite proactive in lodden so beware , rather than that it should be OK but iv always found it best to ask first 😀