• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Dog Wrapped In Fishing Line Tourniquet

All posts relating to environmental issues of the Norfolk Broads.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Dog Wrapped In Fishing Line Tourniquet

Post by Dances With Otters » December 3rd, 2017, 5:43 am

I was having a chat to a dog walker yesterday as I do most days whilst working on the boat. He is the guardian of two lovely dogs. Notice I don't say, owner, as people are responsible for animals and don't own them in my opinion. He went on to tell me how his dog began nibbling it's back leg and on closer examination it was discovered that there was a tourniquet of fishing line wrapped around its leg but hidden under the fur.
I have seen this with many birds, to the point that the creatures end up with a stump rather than the former appendage.
Now, don't get me wrong, I see nothing strange about people ripping sentient lifeforms out of the water with a hook in its mouth, only to throw the traumatised half dead creature back in the water so someone else can come along and repeat the process.
Nothing strange about that, after all, if it was done to other creatures then nobody would bat an eyelid.
The point I am trying to make here is fishing is a very destructive activity to the environment and until fully biodegradable fishing line is used then other creatures in addition to fish will also continue to be tortured.

This image below is of a swan that was rescued at Ranworth Broad and was featured in the EDP in May 2017.

Surely it is time for some changes.
image.jpg

⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Re: Dog Wrapped In Fishing Line Tourniquet

Post by Dances With Otters » December 3rd, 2017, 9:26 am

What can YOU do about it you might think?
Well, just imagine that was your dog snared by a fishing line, or a pet bird with a hook in it's mouth.
The fact of the matter is whether you are for or against fishing, the damage is being done and it is an agonising damage.
I see the only solution might be to stop fishing as biodegradable fishing lines are a great idea but not enforceable.
Really at the end of the day it depends on whether people do or do not have the ability to show empathy for other lifeforms.
As we live in a country where some still support fox hunting, then surely you will never be too far away from a psychopathic mindset.

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 3rd, 2017, 12:50 pm

Not too mention buying in baby pheasants then feeding them up for 4 months or so until they are adults so the gentry can wing them with shotgun pellets so the poor bird flaps away to fall in the river to drown! The problem is, as I see it and this is just my opinion, every thing is fine if done in moderation.... Fishing has become the past time of all types of people.... Anyone can pick up a rod and go fishing and teach themselves... My grandad taught me. My grandad only fished quiet waters like disused canals and non navigable rivers. But it is a good hobby and gets people out of the house in the fresh air and there is generally a fishng river within a short distance from most homes so a lot of people benefit for being out in the fresh air... But as with lots of things there is a right way to do it and a wrong. How many people do you see handling the fish with their bare hands? Do people know that doing this damages the scales so they shed the damaged ones and in winter time that can be fatal. All the guides say use a wet towel some, the responsible fishermen, do and they don't fill their keep nets with their daily catch all cramped and trapped. Responsible fishermen don't catch a small perch then stuff a hook through its side while it's still alive, so they can use it as live bait for a pike fishing.... Yet time and time again you see this!

I could go on and on with all the things that are wrong in this country... The way we get our meat and eggs etc etc but the only people who really understand that things arnt right are the people that see the " bad practices" in fishing or other areas, happening, but joe public from the big cities don't see the problem or that they are doing anything wrong or that the fish have not been put on this earth for our miss use and miss handling... They don't know anything different! Before any one jumps down my neck about tarring people with the same brush... I'm using the cities as a generalisation not as " it's the cities fault" do any of you buy salmon flakes or salmon from Tesco or any other equally large groceries shop? It is all responsibly farmed in Scotland. Ayup it is. In huge floating cages and fed on coloured food pellets so the salmon is a nice pink colour!!! I went out with a salmon farmer in 98! She wouldn't eat it but I have to say it hasn't stopped me eating it or eating any meat either.... But we humans seem to be good at mistreating other residents of our planet in the name of eating or for our sport or hobby!
One day something will retaliate and that will be verrrrrry interesting! Lol!
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol:

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » December 3rd, 2017, 1:21 pm

I grew up on a small island and spent most of my childhood fishing, in fact I was obsessed with it.
Then one day, I woke up and saw it in a totally different light.
If I was going to catch fish to eat, perhaps at sea, I would do it in a second but fish for fun? No.
Anyone who tries to tell me a fish is not faced with agony when it has a hook in it's mouth should perhaps try it with themselves.
The main reason people are oblivious to a fish suffering, is it tends to happen out of sight, as when the fish is hooked, it spends most of it's time under water till it is faced with suffocation on the surface.
So while it lays dying for oxygen it is probably too preoccupied with that experience to focus on the hook in it's mouth.

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 3rd, 2017, 1:26 pm

Remember Crocodile Dundee? Kangaroo hunting? Mick Dundee hides behind the dead too with a gun and shoots back at the hunters? Maybe we could get a big fish suit and hide under water and when we see a boat fishing we could surface with our head that looks like a fish and shoot them through the arm so they know what it's like to get hurt? Maybe we could fire grappling hooks at them, a hook for a hook!

I fish in the sea but only to eat them not for sport!
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol: