Waterside rubbish collections on Broads

All posts relating to environmental issues of the Broads.
tony

Waterside rubbish collections on Broads

Post by tony » June 1st, 2017, 8:11 pm

Are any plans in place to solve the problem of rubbish littering the broads from hire boat users not taking rubbish home with them?

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Re: Waterside rubbish collections on Broads

Post by Dances With Otters » June 2nd, 2017, 2:44 am

There is still rubbish from 2016.
A total disgrace.
I don't know what authority is actually responsible for the removal of so many bins but that was a mega *u*k up.
I blame many locals actually as I used to see them drive up and dump their rubbish in Stalham and Sutton despite boat waste signs clearly posted and hefty fines mentioned too . Sometimes they would return several times a day.
If the powers that be actually fined them like the signs stated then perhaps the Broads would now be still protected.
There is still rubbish at Wayford bridge from the summer of 2016 and it sits right next to the old bins which are now fenced off and padlocked.
It is crazy man. :twisted:
If You Lay Down With Dogs, You Get Up With Fleas :roll:

tony

Post by tony » June 2nd, 2017, 1:12 pm

CCTV cameras and enforcing the fines

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » June 4th, 2017, 9:55 am

Should have done that in the first place.

Captain Kestrel

Post by Captain Kestrel » June 8th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Well all those in power ,of which ever authority, concerned in the decision making were warned of the consequences of this cost cutting exercise. Now who will have to pay to clear this all up :idea:

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » June 8th, 2017, 3:33 pm

You see, the only rubbish people see in the summer is whats in the water. When the season is over and trees and shrubs etc lose their leaves, then it is the winter cruisers who see the rubbish and boy there is a lot of it.
I have been very open online about my findings and to this day the rubbish remains.
This is an environmental disaster in the making.
Once its gone downhill then that is it.....its ruined.
I have even thought about starting an online petition but to get in the house of commons it will require some signatures.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » December 3rd, 2017, 9:09 am

It is the local councils that are responsible for the bins that were at the river's edges.
From what I can gather they were removed because the council regarded the waste disposal as being industrial waste.
Obviously the industry on the Norfolk Broads is the hire boat industry.
So there way of dealing with it is to put hire boat industrial waste bins in their yards.
Seems reasonable enough you might initially think but it's not.
It would be a perfect solution if the hire boat yards were like caravan or camping sites but they are not. There is 125 miles of waterways outside of their hire boat yards without bins for their customer'$ commercial industrial waste.

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 3rd, 2017, 2:00 pm

I collect any rubbish I see but then I'm stuck with where do I put it! Got shouted at at Ludham Staithe last year for putting two big black bags full of rubbish in bins there! Showed the guy what it was but he still said I couldn't dump it there.... As I had no idea who he was and was not in the best frame of mind after picking poo bags up out the wild moorings and NAPPIES my personal most hated item... I had a sense of humour failing and got rather cross! Probably didn't do my living aboard cause much good at all!
I'm litter picking round Salhouse on and off now and they ( the Rangers) give me the bags and dispose of them for me. High tides have stopped me for a bit though, oh and sore me too!
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol:

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » December 3rd, 2017, 2:07 pm

What's wrong with using the bins at Ludham?

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 3rd, 2017, 6:46 pm

Sorry, didn't explain that right.... Must remember I know what im trying to say cos I was there.... He was objecting to me wanting to dump two big bags of rubbish, he said it was typical live aboard mentality to have lots of rubbish. So I showed him in the bags and pointed out the age of some of the rubbish, some of the beer cans had faded and he wouldn't listen so I gestured towards my boat and said he was welcome to go aboard and look for the hidden baby that produced the nappies and that didn't work either as his argument was that I'd borrowed a friends boat because he personally knew the owner of my boat! That was when I lost it!

His objection was the amount of rubbish I was trying to dump! One of the reasons I don't now do it along the rivers edges when I'm out in dingy.... Had a similar conversation at Ranworth bins when I was dumping those big cardboard boxes that slabs of beer comes in nowadays and the wine boxes and those mini casks of beer all found at that wild mooring by the waterworks!
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol: