Damage That Fishing Does.

Is there a solution?

All posts relating to environmental issues of the Broads.
High Seas
Site Admin

Damage That Fishing Does.

Post by High Seas » October 8th, 2017, 4:51 am

Personally, I see fishing as a blood sport. Anyone who tries to tell me that a fish does not suffer pain with a hook in its mouth, is wasting their time.
All life shares a common denominator, the will to survive. Without pain, no lifeforms could maintain survival.
If someone was to eat the fish they caught, then that would make sense.
However, I came across an Egyptian goose in a state of distress and no doubt agony. It had fishing line wrapped around its leg and could barely walk. It has been reported to welfare.
Fishing line also totally messes up cutlass bearings on boats.
Is it really necessary to have this dangerous plastic floating about the Broads causing so much distress to creatures?
I would like to see much more fishing licence checks even with the hire boats as this would at least diminish the negative effects of this blood sport.

A garboard drain light on the Broads? Nah!

Waylander

Re: Damage That Fishing Does.

Post by Waylander » November 28th, 2017, 4:58 pm

Here's one for you..... We, England, maintain a presence on the Falkland Islands to dissuade other nations trying to steal it. On average there are some 2,000 troops on or around the Falklands at any one month. Being a sparsely populated area and having not much in the way of entertainment apart from alcohol and getting pumped in the gym or watching penguins poo the main past time for off shift people, is fishing. Excess fishing line and hooks being left around the most popular fishing places has caused a problem with nature, birds having lines and hooks tangled round them and fish being caught with hooks still in their mouth from previous catches. So to combat this the Falkland Government stipulated that all fishing line used must be bio-degradable ditto hook which are also to be non barbed variety. There is one particular creek near Mare Harbour that is called Mullet Creek. It's so called this as you can catch a mullet there as soon as you bung your ook in there! There are so many mullet you don't even need bait! On my various tours I joined with the conservationists and we caught mullet with the specific reason to remove any hooks and lines still attached to their mouths. There are now a lot more happy fish and birds down there as the line generally melts away within a couple of months with continuos immersion into water. Is this the way we should go for the broads? It would be better for the fish and the wildlife. It would be better for cutless bearings and P brackets on boats. It only takes 10 feet of monofilament line to destroy a cutless bearing on a boat so making it leak round the prop shaft and eventually destroying all the packing round and in the stuffing box so causing costly repairs. Bio- degradable line, I think, is the answer, long term. Short term.... Can fishermen please not cut their lines when they get tangled in trees or when they clear a "rats nest" don't leave it tangled on the bank. A few years back I found a coot, that had drowned, in the entrance to Salhouse broad. It had obviously swum down to the bottom and grabbed a lovely looking fresh water mussel and tried to return to the surface. Unfortunately it also got a hook in its mouth and the hook was attached to a weight that the poor coot wasn't strong enough to over come! It got far enough back to the surface for its main body to be above the water line, which is what I could see- I thought it was an anchored bouy- I went out and grabbed it to find the coots head was below the water still attached to the fishing line! Now ok it's a bird and I shouldn't get too wound up about it... But if you had seen its expression on its face it obviously died in a great panic and a lot of pain!

More recently on the river side of the island I saw something hanging in an overhanging tree. I went round in my dingy and reached it with my boat hook by twisting the boat hook into the fishing line.... It was a pippistral bat! It had a hook in the corner of its mouth obviously caught it while flying through the trees and fouled someone's abandoned fishing line that had been cut as they couldn't be arsed to get the line out of the tree! I got the line out with no difficulty at all and was standing in my dingy to do it! Fortunately the bat was still alive and I took it to the Salhouse Broad ranger, Alex, we managed very carefully with him holding the poor thing and me with some long nosed pliers, to remove the hook. The bat we put in a tree where it flew off when it became twilight! Sunday, just gone, in my way up to Wroxham by dingy, I found a pike lure in a tree! Again it was not hard to remove so if I can get it why can't fishermen get it? All through the summer the Salhouse rangers have been trying to untangle birds from fishing tackle.... You try catching a swan or a goose that has fishing twine round its legs and wings... They are in pain and don't understand what we are trying to do! Toby Baker who used to be the ranger at Salhouse years ago got badly gouged by a barn owl that had got entangled in fishing line. He succeeded in the end, with help, and the bird was freed. Toby had to go to hospital for an injection! Fishermen like to be seen as responsible and caring and in the main they are, the fishing tackle I find I give to fishermen, in the main the ones I see every year either in their own boats or hiring the same boat every year, but some, obviously, are not responsible people! Here's another one for you....if you are fishing on the bank and you are under trees wouldn't it be better to do a low sideways cast rather than a high backwards cast? That way you won't hit the trees, or maybe you should go to a patch where there are no trees? The trees were there before you its not like they crept up behind you while you are sitting there minding your own business... So why do we see time and time again fishermen breaking tree limbs off so they can backwards cast? I caught somone doing that very thing in the summer! He was trying to break a willow branch off because it was in his way! He had in fact broken it but being willow it won't snap clean off so he was bouncing and twisting it.. I saw him and as it was now a broken branch I lopped it off neatly with a saw! Broken branches are not good for the trees, water gets in and eventually rots the tree. It was holiday maker! I gave him a bit of an ear bending but got no where as he didn't think it was my problem! So, please, if you are a fisherman reading this, please give a thought to the trees and the wildlife and even if it isn't you abandoning line and hooks, if you see some in the trees.... Can you remove it as I can't be everywhere! Thanks.

Ps- I fish, but only at sea and I eat my catch. River fish taste like mud and I won't go any where near eels in the sea or in the rivers!
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol:

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » November 28th, 2017, 5:23 pm

I was just speaking to the EA yesterday actually and I was discussing volunteer bailiffs. It just basically means that you can ask fisherman for their details to check if they are licensed. The problems which he openly admits is the fisherman know that volunteer bailiffs have no power of authority, so the simple deterrent is to tell people to go away in Japanese.
Personally, I share your views on discarded fishing like and have on multiple occasions saved birds from a hideous and torturous death.
Snagging fishing lines because the fisherman don't pull their lines in is seriously an issue too. I blatantly refuse to stop, if you can't get out of the navigational way of passing vessels? Then they are an idiot and I think my cutlass bearing is of greater importance than your fishing line.
As far as I am concerned, fishing should be banned from BA moorings and also parish staithes. The simple reason is that fisherman are supposed to give way to boats wishing to moor and they quite simply don't.
Another reason is birds *u*k around moorings because of the public feeding them and then get tangled up.
Moorings are for boats, they are not for fishing. That's why they are called moorings and not fishing platforms.

Waylander

Post by Waylander » November 28th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Now you've got me started on fishing from staithes! Has anyone else had a shouting match with the fishermen that congregate round Ludham Bridge? That bridge is enough of a pain with tourists battering through it but the bloody fishermen there are a breed into them selves! I had been told that the BA have put signs up to stop people fishing either side of the bridge. I ain't seen a reduction in the ignorant fishing persons who have a go at you as you pass under and their lines are across the river! I rescued a sailboat that had broken down, a few months ago up Sutton way, I towed it to Sutton staithe and there were fishing lines out from two boats.... Lots and lots of lines and a shadowy person watching them who did nothing to pull them in so I chugged past in my inflateable strapped to the sailing boat steering for both of us and all you could hear was screaming reels as my outboard removed their lines. 1/2 an hour later having tied up the boat and had a beer bought for me as a thank you I'm heading back out in dingy and removed all the new lines on the way out!! Idiots. I told the BA what had happened and apparently a tourist had phoned in that someone had ran over their lines in the dark and couldn't be arsed to go round! How do you go round something you can't see and in Sutton dyke and towing a sail boat? Bahhhhh! Years ago somone cast my boat loose at Salhouse spit because I was in their favorite fishing spot! The lady from the nature trail rang me and I came back from the fields and went and had a word.... Boat was hanging on by its stern rope with bows pushed out and the guy was sitting in the bank fishing! Words failed me and still do! Look if you want to fish, get a boat or rent a boat or join a club so you can use all the old moorings that used to be for boats but are now club owned/ leased and we in boats can no longer more there! Basically st bennets all the way up to Womack dyke. Stop nicking our moorings and stop using ludham bridge to fish from or at least move when you hear a horn signalling a boat coming through! After the towing the sailboat incident I took my prop off my outboard and removed the huge birds nest of filament and various hooks and weights, it took two hours to get off and I know what I'm doing!

I've said my piece I'll shut up now!

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » November 28th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Breed into themselves
...love it. :D

Waylander

Post by Waylander » November 29th, 2017, 12:44 am

Should have said " unto themselves" predictive text is wonderful about getting the " real" thoughts across! Hey predictive text stop changing my ducking words!

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 2nd, 2017, 7:24 am

To be totally accurate to my own findings, it is when one person has multiple fishing rods going at once that I start to see swans and geese wrapped in fishing lines......might be a slight message there but don't what it is :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Scardinus

Post by Scardinus » December 3rd, 2017, 7:04 pm

Waylander wrote:
November 28th, 2017, 8:12 pm
Now you've got me started on fishing from staithes! Has anyone else had a shouting match with the fishermen that congregate round Ludham Bridge? That bridge is enough of a pain with tourists battering through it but the bloody fishermen there are a breed into them selves! I had been told that the BA have put signs up to stop people fishing either side of the bridge. I ain't seen a reduction in the ignorant fishing persons who have a go at you as you pass under and their lines are across the river! I rescued a sailboat that had broken down, a few months ago up Sutton way, I towed it to Sutton staithe and there were fishing lines out from two boats.... Lots and lots of lines and a shadowy person watching them who did nothing to pull them in so I chugged past in my inflateable strapped to the sailing boat steering for both of us and all you could hear was screaming reels as my outboard removed their lines. 1/2 an hour later having tied up the boat and had a beer bought for me as a thank you I'm heading back out in dingy and removed all the new lines on the way out!! Idiots. I told the BA what had happened and apparently a tourist had phoned in that someone had ran over their lines in the dark and couldn't be arsed to go round! How do you go round something you can't see and in Sutton dyke and towing a sail boat? Bahhhhh! Years ago somone cast my boat loose at Salhouse spit because I was in their favorite fishing spot! The lady from the nature trail rang me and I came back from the fields and went and had a word.... Boat was hanging on by its stern rope with bows pushed out and the guy was sitting in the bank fishing! Words failed me and still do! Look if you want to fish, get a boat or rent a boat or join a club so you can use all the old moorings that used to be for boats but are now club owned/ leased and we in boats can no longer more there! Basically st bennets all the way up to Womack dyke. Stop nicking our moorings and stop using ludham bridge to fish from or at least move when you hear a horn signalling a boat coming through! After the towing the sailboat incident I took my prop off my outboard and removed the huge birds nest of filament and various hooks and weights, it took two hours to get off and I know what I'm doing!

I've said my piece I'll shut up now!

So you happily cut through anglers lines leaving baited hooks, there are a minority of ignorant anglers but also a minority of ignorant boat users, why can't people see they are not the only ones who enjoy using the broads for pleasure!

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 3rd, 2017, 7:21 pm

Are we actually talking about people fishing of the top of the bridge with their fishing lines hanging down over the narrow navigation through the bridge?
(3) Any person fishing from a boat or the bank shall show
reasonable consideration to any other person using the
navigation area and shall ensure that his rod or line does not
obstruct the passage of a vessel along a channel.

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 4th, 2017, 12:12 am

No. We are talking about the ones that are on the bank on the other side of the bridge as you go up stream. And the dear Scardinus- above who thinks I just blithely cut through fishing lines and leave any baited hooks in the water! How the hell are you supposed to see lines in the water in the dark or hidden behind bridges! Do you even know how a boat is propelled? If a boat goes over a fishing line it's does not simply cut the line so it falls to the river bottom.... The spinning thing that propels a boat wraps said line round it's self and round the propellor shaft in a birds nest tangle and takes the line with it where it eventually works it way into the stern gland which then destroys the water tight seal where the prop shaft comes out of the boat! The only cut lines you find in rivers are from fishermen cutting them themselves because they can't be arsed to untangle them from trees or owt they have caught them on! Plus if you come up the Ant from direction of ST Bennets how the hell are you supposed to see fishermen the other side of the bridge in that nice sheltered from the wind spot? Plus the bylaws say you may fish from the quays but must give way to boats.... What do you want me to do? Stop middle of the bridge and reverse out and wait for the bloody fisherman to finish fishing for the day then go under the bridge??? Yeah that's it, let's all us boaters give way to the lovely fishermen after all they are doing no harm just sitting on the bank and mind they do buy a licence every year to enable them to sit where they like and fish! God that is so annoying! That's it! I'm buying twin machine guns for the bows!