Click here to find out more on Amazon.

Living On A Boat On The Norfolk Broads Full Time

Vlog series on Youtube
Miles
Site Admin

Living On A Boat On The Norfolk Broads Full Time

Post by Miles »

Navigating Boat Living: Key Insights from Four Years Aboard

For the past four years, my life has been a continuous journey on a boat. While I won't claim to be an expert, the wealth of experience I've accumulated during this time is worth sharing. In this article, I'll delve into essential considerations for those contemplating the unique lifestyle of living on a boat.

Embracing Size: Bigger Is Better

When it comes to boat living, size matters. Ignore the expenses momentarily and focus on actual space. From my perspective, bigger boats offer a better living experience. It's not just about headroom; width and length play crucial roles. Storage on a boat is a perpetual challenge, and a larger boat can alleviate this issue. If you're considering living on a boat full-time, anything under 30 feet might be a compromise. I strongly recommend opting for a vessel of 35 feet or more for a more pleasant and comfortable life.

Power Choices: Diesel vs. Petrol

In the realm of boat engines, the choice between diesel and petrol is pivotal. For areas like the Norfolk Broads, I'd insist on a diesel boat. The exception would be outboard motors, where petrol is more manageable. Safety concerns and the limited availability of petrol stations for boats reinforce the wisdom of choosing diesel.

Cooking Dilemma: Gas or Propane

The decision on cooking fuel—gas or propane—holds significance. While gas is fantastic for cooking, it can lead to condensation, a nuisance on boats. Propane, on the other hand, doesn't freeze but emits condensation. An alternative worth considering is Meths stove/hob, a potential solution to combat condensation and enhance heating efficiency.

Warming Up: Heating Options

Heating becomes a critical aspect of boat life, especially during winter. Wood burners provide a dry heat, eliminating condensation concerns. However, safety considerations arise with potential gas leaks. Diesel heaters are a practical option but come with fuel expenses. Electric heating, particularly fan heaters, may not be cost-effective and pose safety risks.

Safety Measures: Securing Your Boat

Ensuring safety on a boat involves various measures. Concerns about people tampering with boat ropes can be addressed with technologies like anchor watch apps and security systems like Salient Eye. Surprisingly, having a dog on board serves as an effective deterrent. Dogs not only love boats but add an extra layer of security.

Moorings Dilemma: To Moor or Not to Moor

Choosing a mooring depends on personal circumstances. If you're a daily commuter, a mooring is likely essential. Continuous cruisers, those moving frequently, may not need a permanent mooring. The prejudice against liveaboards, particularly continuous cruisers, stems from outdated biases. The key is to choose what suits your lifestyle without succumbing to societal expectations.

Marina Living: Debunking Myths

Whether you can live on a boat in a marina often sparks debate. Consider the thriving hire boat industry where individuals live on boats seasonally. The same principle applies to those choosing a boat as their permanent residence. Ultimately, what you do on your boat is your business.

In conclusion, the decision to live on a boat is a personal one, and each individual must navigate the unique challenges and joys it brings. By considering the insights shared here, prospective boat dwellers can embark on this lifestyle with a more informed and prepared mindset.
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum