• Administrator
  •  
    Boat Crash Video Clips Wanted

rowing on the river yare

Technical Q&A about using this Norfolk Broads Forum.
jamesjaa

rowing on the river yare

Post by jamesjaa » January 27th, 2019, 8:09 pm

at risk of incurring some wrath but nevertheless, hopefully, some sound advice, here goes, I’m renting a riverside property not far from Brundall Stn during the Easter hols and it comes with a ‘dingy’ albeit looks like a rowboat to me, I’ve no intention whatsoever of venturing far in it and none at all if any *u*k indicates this stretch is hazardous, due to the tide or whatever else might loom over the unsuspecting and unfamilar, any advice, observations, very much appreciated..

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Re: rowing on the river yare

Post by Dances With Otters » January 27th, 2019, 8:37 pm

The southern Broads is a lot quieter in the high season than the north, there is no argument there. However, traffic will still be considerable. The only issue I would personally raise is that being a rowboat you will be technically going in a backward direction. I would not fancy my chances assuming the approaching vessels have seen me. On many occasions I see a chap rowing his boat and he simply looks into a car rear view mirror he had placed on a wooden pole in his transom. It seemed to work well for him. :D
As far as the current goes, it will affect your ability to row for sure. I would treat it with the same attention level as you might at sea.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

jamesjaa

Post by jamesjaa » January 27th, 2019, 8:51 pm

Cheers Miles, I will be accompanied by 3 teen lookouts so should get plenty of advance warning of on coming boats, which, to be honest never entered my mind as being much of a hazard, that is until browsing the many incidents on the forum relating to lets say lack of boat control, having said that I am astounded how anyone can collide during staight forward navigation on an open stretch of water.. thanks for the food for thought, as an aside, if anything I was anticipating warnings about the tide, current etc rendering the row a fruitless exercise, is it quite calm on that patch of water?

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » January 27th, 2019, 9:13 pm

It is nothing like Breydon Water or Yarmouth but still most certainly a substantial tidal range. On the north, it is around 4-6 inches but down that way I reckon it can be the best part of two metres in places.

jamesjaa

Post by jamesjaa » January 27th, 2019, 11:39 pm

I wouldnt even attempt Breydon in a cruiser neh mind a row boat :D I’ll probably see if I can get a day boat so we can have a mooch about relatively drama free.. keep forgetting to mention, thumbs up for the high seas you tube thingy as well as this forum, its good to read yours and others perpsectives of the broads, your bang on about a lot of the issues, seems to me it could be managed better by the authorities and more responsibly by boat yards, a combined effort even, after my last boating experience in 2017 I was left feeling there is nowhere near adequate mooring, especially on the north broads, the booze cruise disco boat was a pain, not really in keeping with the surroundings and the boat tuition is a joke, it should be 2 hours min with an emphasis on mooring, I dont even live there and it riled me up, how do you stay so chilled :)

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » January 28th, 2019, 6:30 am

I don't, it drives me mad. That's why I am doing up my boat so I can go and do some boating where I won't get abused. :D

jamesjaa

Post by jamesjaa » January 28th, 2019, 10:21 pm

anywhere in particular in mind? somewhere in the sun :)

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » January 29th, 2019, 4:42 am

Through the French canals to the Mediterranean. Can't ask for more. :D
I have been trying to get there for three years. :roll: