Sailing Boat Terminology?

Share or ask any marine related technical information about not just Norfolk Broads boats but all vessels in general and help others to fix their boats.
High Seas

Sailing Boat Terminology?

Post by High Seas » June 19th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Does anyone know the correct name for this part on my masthead please?
The steel wire shrouds are attached to it by an eye/thimble.

David

Re: Sailing Boat Terminology?

Post by David » June 19th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Hi my sailing parts terminology is a bit sparse but is that not a compression tube?
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

High Seas

Post by High Seas » June 20th, 2017, 10:38 am

I don't think so, they usually have tangs on the ends.
This one sits through the mast rather like a compression tube but the eyelets on the shrouds actually go around the tube.
I thought if I could identify this part then I may be able to identify the manufacturer of my mast.
I also would like to see a similar set up as I am having issues with the steel wire rope of the stays brushing against the inner walls of the mast which is damaging the wires.

David

Post by David » June 20th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Your cables that attach to that tube I am assuming has a swaged eyelet and that tube passes through them, do those wire cables then run back to chain plates on the boat

High Seas

Post by High Seas » June 21st, 2017, 9:03 am

Yes that is right.

David

Post by David » June 21st, 2017, 6:32 pm

How far down the mast do they exit from the top anchor point, I am assuming that there is also front and back stays also, and how are they mounted on your mast?

High Seas

Post by High Seas » June 22nd, 2017, 10:11 am

If you look at the above photo you will see a white cable coming out, the upper shrouds share that exist hole.
I am trying to contact the chap who built the boat as for the life of me I can not find a similar set up on Google.
The two lower shrouds work by the same process and go internally in to another aluminium pole/tube which also forms part of the spreaders.
I suspect this type of set up was chosen because it is a folding mast and the aluminium tubes rotate as the mast is lowered or raised.
I really would to find a similar set up just to make sure everything is as it should be as the whole rigging is going to cost me a few bucks. In fact a small fortune.

High Seas

Post by High Seas » June 22nd, 2017, 10:19 am

You can actually see where the rigging wire has rubbed up against the mast.