Fuel Polishing

Share or ask any marine related technical information about not just Norfolk Broads boats but all vessels in general and help others to fix their boats.
David

Fuel Polishing

Post by David » March 10th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Just going to throw this one out there and see what everybody thinks about fuel polishing, I was thinking of building a polishing rig consisting of 2 Racal turbine filter assembly's with 30 & 10 micron filters plus one 12v fuel transfer pump and flow meter, I have been suffering for some time with contaminated diesel, every year when I change my fuel filters the diesel that comes out of them is nearly black, I do use a fuel additive to help prevent the dreaded bug, the boat had a replacement plastic fuel tank fitted about 5 years ago and I always keep it topped up to prevent moisture build up.
I am an engineer by trade mostly working with Diesel engine driven generators and aviation related plant, I have seen this setup used before on boats and static fuel tanks with reasonable results.
Has anybody had it done on their boat and did it work?

A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

peterboat

Re: Fuel Polishing

Post by peterboat » March 10th, 2018, 9:09 pm

I have a fuel guard fitted to my Dutch barge it works well and is a cleanable filter, it can also be ordered as a fuel polishing device, it is BSS compliant which is a plus. I had one of the first made for boats but it has been fitted to plant equipment for years

BEN

Re: Fuel Polishing

Post by BEN » March 12th, 2018, 10:50 am

There are reports on another Broads forum of someone constructing a fuel polisher, made from:
An electric diesel Fuel pump, a fuel filter assembly, A demijohn ( to collect the water), and some copper and rubber pipes.
He claimed it was quite successful..