Which of these chargers?

Share or ask any marine related technical information about not just Norfolk Broads boats but all vessels in general and help others to fix their boats.
Terry

Which of these chargers?

Post by Terry » June 8th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Right, the little Teal 22's supposed to be getting launched on Monday, and I realise I need to buy a battery charger. I will definitely be going with solar panels when the piggy bank's a bit fatter, but I need this now and I'll always have a use for it.

Anyone care to have a quick look and give me a second opinion before I part with money?

£48.99

£59.39

£69.99

I've got wild staring eyes, and I've got a strong urge to fly ... but I've got nowhere to fly to

High Seas

Re: Which of these chargers?

Post by High Seas » June 8th, 2017, 8:16 pm

How many batteries do you have currently? Excuse the pun.
Best of luck for launch.

Terry

Post by Terry » June 8th, 2017, 8:19 pm

about to buy one, maybe two depending on price. meant to also ask: is a 20A charger the way I should go?
I've got wild staring eyes, and I've got a strong urge to fly ... but I've got nowhere to fly to

High Seas

Post by High Seas » June 8th, 2017, 8:24 pm

I will have a look tomorrow as on blackberry and its crap to use. I can't open browsers.

David

Post by David » June 9th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Hi Terry had a look at the Chargers on your list and depending on how you intend to charge you batteries. eg: are you using the charger to charge the battery from a mostly discharged state or are you going to use it to keep a float charge in you battery.
If from a discharged state to full capacity then the first one on your list would do, but if you are intending to keep the boat plugged into shore power for lengthy periods and you are just topping off your charge and keeping the charger connected then the second one on your list is the one for you as it is basically an intelligent charger and will not cook your battery/ batteries and will provide a float charge in a similar way to a vehicle alternator.
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

High Seas

Post by High Seas » June 9th, 2017, 7:23 pm

Sorry I took so long getting back to you. I have been checking the lifeboat out in Cromer. I can't really add anymore to what David has written. I had a lovely marine charger which could deal with multiple batteries but my last generator blew it up.....so watch out for that.

Terry

Post by Terry » June 9th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Thanks, both of you. My plan is to run pretty much everything off 12v DC, with the boat plugged in to shore power most of the week purely for the charger and the odd blitz with power tools. As soon as I've recovered my bank balance a bit, I intend to go with a solar panel, but obviously I need a way of charging the battery straight away.
I've found a 130AH leisure battery with good reviews for £80, plus I have the cheapo car battery for starting the outboard. Presumably a borrowed car-type charger will get me through for a few days while I'm waiting for this one to be delivered...

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » June 10th, 2017, 11:03 am

Terry I had this one and it was 50amp. The red one in the photos....hell knows I miss it.
CHARGER
I have to say it was worth every penny.
Liveaboard or liveathome?.....that is the question

High Seas

Post by High Seas » June 10th, 2017, 11:25 am

I was about to order some flexible solar panels when my laptop decided to reincarnate as rubbish.....oh well..never a problem for the unenslaved.

High Seas

Post by High Seas » June 10th, 2017, 11:45 am

Actually my mistake it was the 20 amp version but was 12 volt and that dealt with 3 batteries very nicely indeed. It did have a fan on it which could be a bit annoying when practicing the Om Namah Shivaya chants.
Le charger de le liveaboard