• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome To Norfolk Broads Forum.
    This website is created by the producer of Sailing High Seas Youtube channel.

Diesel heater

Share or ask any marine related technical information about not just Norfolk Broads boats but all vessels in general and help others to fix their boats.
David

Diesel heater

Post by David » February 19th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Just received my new 8kw Planair diesel heater this morning to replace the defunk Webasto 24s unit that packed up at Christmas, I will be fitting it in our boat Saturday and I will post an update on how well this Chinese heater performs on Glenmore, should be a better output at 8kw compared to 2.4kw from the Webasto which struggled to keep all the boat warm

A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

avg45

Re: Diesel heater

Post by avg45 » February 19th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Hi David, please let me know how you are getting on with your heater. A couple of questions though: Was it a straight swap and did it connect to the exhaust, air inlet, fuel line and electrics ok?

David

Post by David » February 19th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Will be fitting it Saturday, the electrics will have to be changed for the new loom on inspection of the new heater + the fuel pump but keeping fingers crossed looks like the exhaust and air pipes should fit I will post progress when fitted

Vetchugger

Post by Vetchugger » February 20th, 2019, 12:51 am

You are right David, the existing heater on "Glenmore" is/was very poor and hardly took the chill off. I used to rely on 240v hookups mostly. I had intended to swap it for a 5kw unit but never found myself in a position to be comfy parting with the sort of money that would have cost.
Good luck with the chinese one. Its encouraging to read on various forums and groups that these are generally very well received and perform well.

David

Post by David » February 20th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Yes the reports look good and for the price if it lasts a couple of years and packs up I will just replace it with another

David

Post by David » February 24th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Have not got the heater in yet as the mounting bracket has had to be altered which I got done Saturday, the wabasto exhaust is a larger diameter and the exhaust supplied would be to short so I have got to make up a bushing on my lathe to marry the old exhaust with the new heater.
If my old heater was an erberspacher it would have been a straight swap but the wabasto mounts differently

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » February 25th, 2019, 6:09 pm

I think I am going to go down this road with regards to heating.
I have used a wood burner which was quite amazing at times to be fair but unless you have a large boat, it kills the remaining space and quite frankly they are bloody dangerous on boats.
I have met a lot of people who have bought these Planar heaters and they reckon you only need to change the fuel pipe to get it through its boat safety.
The same chap reckons his control panel was in Chinese but for £200 I would accept some concessions.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

David

Post by David » February 26th, 2019, 10:15 am

Yes the supplied fuel line is plastic which is a no go for the BSS luckily as there was already a heater fitted to Glenmore it has a copper pipe fitted from the tank, the supplied exhaust is short for boat application so you would need a longer pice to run to a hull skin fitting the exhaust outlet is 23mm

David

Post by David » March 10th, 2019, 11:26 am

Just got the 8kw heater fitted and working the bushing that I made up fitted the exhaust a treat which means that I could use the original wabasto exhaust pipe, had trouble getting the diesel up to the heater but once it was there the heater fired up straight away, a little smoke then cleared up.
So if you want to replace your broken wabasto heater for a Chinese replacement and use the existing wabasto fittings you need to modify the mounting bracket and you need a bushing to fitt the exhaust outlet and you must change the fuel pump, i had to extend the wiring as the loom supplied would not reach were I wanted the control box.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » March 10th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Just out of curiosity as I have no experience with diesel heaters at all, how does the fuel get to the heater? they are so small, is there a built-in pump or are they simply gravity fed? I am really looking forward to getting one actually, they sound amazing.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵