Dyneema synthetic rigging

Share or ask any marine related technical information about not just Norfolk Broads boats but all vessels in general and help others to fix their boats.
High Seas

Dyneema synthetic rigging

Post by High Seas » September 3rd, 2017, 5:20 pm

I was curious if any members had any experience with using synthetic rigging namely Dyneema or anything similar? It seems to be a great idea and I hadn't actually noticed any on the Norfolk Broads but if anybody has any experience of using these especially in a roller furling capacity I would really like to hear from you, thanks

BEN

Re: Dyneema synthetic rigging

Post by BEN » September 4th, 2017, 6:48 am

I'm assuming you are referring to using Dyneema for running rigging and not standing rigging.
Most of the broads classes are traditional boats and therefore do not use it. But the more modern style boats can and some do use dynema for things like main and Jib halyards.
I've used it myself very successfully:
You have to use the same diameter as the wire you are replacing to go through the sheaves.
You can get away without using thick rope tails, providing you wear gloves!!! Otherwise it's to thin to pull and is very painful on the hands!!
I've also used Dyneema in short lengths on the standing rigging, replacing bottle screws with the Dyneema and it worked for that purpose.

High Seas

Post by High Seas » September 4th, 2017, 8:39 am

Oh no, this is definitely for standard rigging.
No more rigging screws or turnbuckles etc.
Looks like the future rigging.
Traditional in one sense but stronger than steel.
Synthetic stays attached with deadeyes.
https://www.riggingdoctor.com/life-aboa ... -deadeyes

BEN

Post by BEN » September 4th, 2017, 10:51 am

My worry for using Dyneema for standing rigging is the strength is in the core. When a wire stay starts failing you can usually start seeing the odd tray wire break first. Dyneema has a non load bearing outer sheath and while it has the strength how would you know when failure starts..

High Seas

Post by High Seas » September 4th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Can't say but it has tremendous reviews.