fin or bilge keel

Share or ask any marine related technical information about not just Norfolk Broads boats but all vessels in general and help others to fix their boats.
chris44

fin or bilge keel

Post by chris44 » July 18th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Likely the wrong place to post this question , but , i have spotted a 25 footer but it has a fin keel , is it wiser to have a bilge twin keel for the broads or are single fin keels ok

Miles
Site Admin

Re: fin or bilge keel

Post by Miles » July 19th, 2017, 12:01 pm

The traditional Broads sailing boats are all fin keels, or single keel at least.
Man will be what he was born to be, free and independent. - JFK.

BEN

Post by BEN » July 26th, 2017, 8:35 pm

You can sail with fin or bilge keel. Fin gives better performance. However if you want to sail most places on the broads, more important is the draft. Most sailing boats on the broads have a draft of 3ft to 3 ft 6 inches, any more than that and you are going to severely limit where you can sail.
I have successfully sailed round most of the broads with a bilge keeler, but tide and wind against you can test your patience!!

chris44

Post by chris44 » July 28th, 2017, 10:37 pm

last few years ive been looking at so many boats , im planning to liveaboard , narrowed it down to a couple so far , westerly windrush 25 and snapdragon 26 , both have tabernacle mast lowering , need that on broads , not many others ive seen tick all the boxes i want ,are there any others i should look at , need as much interior room as possible , advice would be appreciated ?

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » July 29th, 2017, 7:50 am

I have lived on my sailing boat on the Broads since 2014 and loved every moment of it. However, a sailing boat is the worst live aboard boat for these waterways.
I love sailing with a passion but have had my mast down for the past 18 months because the act of lowering and raising a mast drives you nuts after a very short period of time.
If you are adamant that you want a sailing boat then there really is only one option and that is the traditional Broads sailing boats with the counter weighted masts, they drop quicker than a crack whores knickers and are lifted with such ease.
I have a sailing boat because when I have my affairs in order I am going exploring.
There are other options, the Pegasus, Horizon all seem to be fairly easy masts to work with but at times you will also have to lower the a-frame or gin pole which would mean detaching the roller furling too. You won't want to do that day in and day out.
The Leisure 23 SL has a lot of interior space for its size but not really ideal for mast lowering.
The traditional sailing boats are not all woooden these days.
There are a few hefty Westerleys about but they too have the hefty mast so I would look at another type of vessel if you are planning on staying on the Broads?
From that perspective, bigger is always best in my opinion. The more space you have, the more room you have.
Good luck! :D
Man will be what he was born to be, free and independent. - JFK.