Ballast

Share or ask any marine related technical information about not just Norfolk Broads boats but all vessels in general and help others to fix their boats.
peterboat

Re: Ballast

Post by peterboat » March 7th, 2018, 1:09 pm

If your engine is a 1500/1800 BMC it weighs 550 pounds ish ask me how I know!! :( The batteries and motor I have fitted dont even get close to that number which is good as the boat really did need to float higher in the water and also weight/drag doesnt help the electric drive at all

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 7th, 2018, 3:35 pm

550kgs maybe?not pounds surely not.
If You Lay Down With Dogs, You Get Up With Fleas :roll:

peterboat

Post by peterboat » March 7th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Pounds I am afraid two of us lifted it out using a bar and rope and that with gearbox and all ancillaries attached, we used a front loader on a tractor to take it out through the sliding roof easy peasy

JohnS

Post by JohnS » March 7th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Well I've been given some ballast weights by a kind gent whom moors at broadsedge. They measure 225mm x 225mm x 50mm so I suspect they are fire locks but weigh 6kg each apparently! I'm sure they will help. ( he has 60kg of them). The only thing with them is as the are square they won't fit right down into the vee of the bilge. As I've ascertained so far, the lower down in the bilge the weight is the less weight you need, it's not so much about weighing the boat down as lowering the centre of gravity. So 25kg of loose gravel or water right down into the bilge or keel vee is more effective than blocks weighing 25kg in the bilge but with space underneath them. Obviously if gravel goes in loose it's tricky to remove should you wish too where as water is easy to suck out but as miles has pointed out, if the water is on the cabin side of bulkhead will undoubtedly give you a condensation problem. I've even heard of someone whom has mixed concrete and poured it in :shock:
Anyway, hopefully I will put these slabs over the top of the iron poles that are under the boards on the cabin side, hopfully that will counter act not having anything in the bilge under the engine 👍 ;) ;) I'll let you know how I get on 👍
I should maybe add that, having full fuel and water tanks is probably not going to help much as ballast, as the weight is too high, if you have 100 kg of water in a tank, you may need to add weight deeper in the boat to lower the centre of gravity because the weight in the tank is too high in the boat unless you have a very flat tank low down.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 8th, 2018, 10:55 am

Thanks for the update JohnS.
I had a quick look online and found another forum talking about BMC engine weight and there was a chap mentioning about going electric so must be the same chap as on here :D and it looks like you were quite right about the engine weight. It is good to know this as if I get lucky enough to go electric then that existing weight can be used to consider battery bank weights and amounts.

peterboat

Post by peterboat » March 8th, 2018, 11:10 pm

It is me here is a link to the weight

what is the weight of a BMC 1.8 Diesel engine - ybw.com
www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?369216-what-is-the...

what is the weight of a BMC 1.8 Diesel engine ... I have a figure for the very similar 1500 of 222kg including ancillaries.

Does that help?

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 13th, 2018, 10:15 am

Here you go, three bags of this for a tenner at Tescos in Stalham. Got some weight to them too.
2018-03-13_10-13-59.jpg

BEN

Post by BEN » March 13th, 2018, 2:59 pm

20kg bags of gravel are £2.47 at BQ, and you get 10% off that if you get an old gits card and buy it on a wednesday