• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

A liveaboard Premonition

There is always a lot of events happening on the Norfolk Broads and here you can post or read any topics relating to Norfolk Broads news.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

A liveaboard Premonition

Post by Dances With Otters » December 5th, 2017, 7:20 pm

I can not base this post on any scientific facts other than my own intuition.
I personally believe that this forthcoming winter could be a mother of winters.
I state this because it is so much lower in temperature than it is normally this time of year. Well for the past three winters at least.
Now, I could be totally wrong as often I am but I strongly advise all who have boats to winterise asap as I suspect something nasty is coming.

⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

tony

Re: A liveaboard Premonition

Post by tony » December 6th, 2017, 5:10 pm

well it might not be the weather :shock:

trump ... ...

a while back i my misspent youth i do remember, snow drifts 12 foot high, going up to Pentney, when the snow hits east anglia, beware

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 6th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Winter of 2009 and 2010 we had minus 15 and the rivers all froze. When I next go on my laptop I will dig my pictures out and post them. It was very pretty and the Ant had perfect spirals of blue and white ice as the river currents froze the hail into the wonderful shapes. I was the only boat still moving about! It took me 3 hours to get from How Hill back to the Bure! Heed the warnings re winterising everyone.... Better to winterise and not need it that to think you will be ok and you won't! Engines that freeze are a very bad and costly thing.... If you're lucky it will just blow the core plugs out but invariable it blows them out and then cracks between the holes. Make sure you seacock a are all off and sea toilet seacocks too.... If your boat sinks and the insurance company find the sea cock was on and it sank due to a frozen pipe that burst and then it thawed so letting the water in, you will find they won't pay out as its " neglect" for which you are not covered. Drain water tanks down and water pipes etc etc
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol:

Rick H

Post by Rick H » December 6th, 2017, 7:10 pm

That's another problem for the northern rivers ie lack of flow which allows ice to form , that said in 2010 I did see blocks of ice passing NYS and did get Iced on in the marina at brundall .
Winterising is not really require for continuous cruisers as moving the boat every day prevents cooling water getting to the stage it will freeze , how ever those that use butane may well find the bottle has frozen hence experienced winter boaters use propane .
As for a severe winter all the signs from nature that support that are missing especially berry's on bush's etc , then again who know only time will tell but I recon I'll be just fine what ever it does .

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 6th, 2017, 10:11 pm

There were a lot more berries on trees up the Ant and round Irstead too. Salhouse broad had far more sloe berries up the hill than usuall although they didn't last long when the dog walkers found them! They do say every year that " arrrr it's gonna be a baaaaad one this year" we shall see.
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol:

nimue

Post by nimue » December 8th, 2017, 3:53 pm

We've never had the gas bottles freeze so far, interestingly, the outlet from our new ventilation system just happens to exit right next to the gas bottles a handy and unplanned bonus so it should prevent them from freezing.