Pro rata boat tax may soon be available to all

Legal action currently in court

All posts relating to Norfolk Broads navigational byelaws.
Pelican

Pro rata boat tax may soon be available to all

Post by Pelican » April 5th, 2018, 7:05 pm

Today 5 April Today 2018

I was summoned to court to pay my share of a boat purchased last summer namely Pelican 507s. The annual toll being £411 for this vessel. I was surprised to see a summons for the amount of £240 (the years tax minus what amount they have managed to collect from the vessels former owner) as I was expecting a bill for the full year as when I bought the vessel in September it was untaxed.

This seems to mean that myself and the vessels previous owner are being allowed to pay on a pro rata basis. The case has been adjourned till 6th June when it'll be decided if I am liable for the tax on a pro rata basis ie £240 for the time last season I owned the vessel.

It will be interesting to see if this case will open the BA up to a more user friendly tax system. At present they are unwilling to accept a part payment for half the year on my vessel (having explained i intend to sell by the summer) for this year however claiming that I owe the exact same from the year before......

We will see what happens in June but till then I just thought I'd share this information see what others thoughts are on the matter

peterboat

Re: Pro rata boat tax may soon be available to all

Post by peterboat » April 6th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Consider yourself lucky on CRT waters your boat would have been removed and sold/broken up!!

Bargate

Re: Pro rata boat tax may soon be available to all

Post by Bargate » April 8th, 2018, 10:47 am

So why didn't you pay your toll?