'The Norfolk Broads Phenomenon'

is available on Amazon in ebook format.

Click here to find out more on Amazon.

Complete Stern Tube Restoration On Sailboat

Articles and videos about boat restoration and maintenance.
Miles
Site Admin

Complete Stern Tube Restoration On Sailboat

Post by Miles »

Comprehensive Guide to Cutless Bearing Replacement

Embarking on a maritime adventure often entails facing unexpected challenges, and today's task was no exception. I found myself tackling a significant project - the replacement of the cutlass bearing on a boat. In this article, we'll delve into the intricacies of this 20-dollar fix, exploring the process, unexpected discoveries, and the meticulous steps taken to ensure a seamless outcome.

Unveiling the Challenge

Upon initiating the cutlass bearing replacement, a routine task took an unexpected turn. The stern tube, when disassembled, revealed an ageing wooden cavity. Over four decades, this wood had weathered its course, rendering it unsuitable for supporting a new cutlass bearing. Recognizing the importance of a sturdy foundation, I decided to eliminate the decaying wood.

A Fortuitous Discovery

Amidst the challenge, a stroke of luck presented itself. Examining the area exposed by the removed wood, I discovered a well-preserved section beneath the metal housing. It was dry, devoid of any rot, providing a solid base for the upcoming modifications. Sealing this wood became a priority to safeguard it during the restoration process.

Strategic Sealing for Protection

To shield the wood underneath, I meticulously sealed the bottom, ensuring a protective barrier against potential damage. A layer on top addressed any holes that could compromise the project, preparing the groundwork for the next steps.

Crafting a Sustainable Solution

Acknowledging the significance of a lasting solution, I opted for a lamination process to reinforce the entire area. Employing a 6mm fibreglass backing, I built a robust foundation for the upcoming layers. This strategic move ensures the longevity of the modification, preventing future issues.

Addressing Wear and Tear

Returning to the cutlass bearing replacement, I addressed the wear and tear evident in the existing component. Although not severely damaged, a subtle play had developed over the years, prompting the need for a timely replacement. The stern tube, a critical element in this process, posed additional challenges, requiring careful consideration.

Ingenious Solutions and Stainless Steel Precision

Encountering unexpected modifications in the stern tube, I employed inventive solutions. Reversing the tube for a more favourable thread, I tapped in M6 holes, utilizing stainless steel components for durability. The replacement cutlass bearing, a crucial part of the puzzle, arrived promptly, ensuring a seamless continuation of the restoration.

Painstaking Lamination Process

Initiating the lamination process, I employed meticulous attention to detail. Using fibreglass and a specially concocted fibreglass filler, I filled voids and gaps, ensuring a solid structure. The labour-intensive process involved layering and building up the material, creating a robust foundation for the modified stern tube.

Towards the Finish Line

As the days passed, the restoration progressed. Filling in voids, sanding, and layering fibreglass became a repetitive yet essential routine. The underwater primer marked a significant milestone, paving the way for the final steps - anti-fouling and propeller installation.
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum