• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Solar Panels

Advertise your boat for sale or marine related items here free of charge. No spamming, please! You only need to post your advert once and update it if and when it sells.
avg45

Solar Panels

Post by avg45 » February 17th, 2018, 9:20 am

I have just visited my boat and found that my solar panel has gone AWOL due to the recent high winds. As it was on the boat when I bought her and it was quite old I did not mind too much. However, I would like to replace it with something similar but am not sure what output I require to trickle charge two 110 amp hour leisure batteries. Any help on this would be gratefully appreciated. 8-)

Alan[/b]

David

Re: Solar Panels

Post by David » February 17th, 2018, 1:12 pm

We have 1 100w solar panel running through a smart controller it keeps both our domestic batteries (110ah) topped up + the cranking battery also 110ah in the hight of summer with good sunlight it can push out over 6amps keeping the fridge running with out drawing anything out of the batteries during the day, the smart charger allows you to split the charge between both sets of batteries, we have ours set to a 60/40 split 60% for domestic and 40% for cranking battery.
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

avg45

Post by avg45 » February 17th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Hi David,

Many, many thanks. It sound just like my system so I will go for a 100 watt panel. I already have a controller so I should be ok.

Alan

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » February 18th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Solar panels are the dogs these days, so efficient. Know the advantages and differences between mono and poly. I had a 100 watt a couple of years ago and that was a poly. I could even charge up cordless tools with it.
The flexible ones, although appealing by design are believed to be ineffective at heat dissipation and also don't last anywhere near as long as rigid ones do.
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

avg45

Post by avg45 » February 19th, 2018, 12:46 pm

Thanks Miles.

I have purchased a 100w mono solar panel and I think it will suit me fine. Thanks for your reply. :)
( Glad to see you have got your mast up and hopefully see you around Barton next month)

Alan