Outboard motors on yachts

What size and remote stations

Advertise your boat for sale or marine related items here free of charge. No spamming, please! You only need to post your advert once and update it if and when it sells.
Redemption26

Outboard motors on yachts

Post by Redemption26 » January 14th, 2018, 4:57 am

Do any of you guys use outboard motors to power your boats?

High Seas
Site Admin

Re: Outboard motors on yachts

Post by High Seas » January 14th, 2018, 9:06 pm

I don't use one myself other than for a dinghy but there are many sailing boats that do. Most are under 23 foot give or take that do.
Liveaboard or liveathome?.....that is the question

Redemption26

Post by Redemption26 » January 15th, 2018, 6:42 am

No i wasn't sure as to the popularity in regards to the use of outboards . I am going to down size to a 10hp with forward and reverse although when I zm crossing the Caloundra bar the extra push is most appreciated.
20171223_091957.jpg
The stern of my boat.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » January 15th, 2018, 1:31 pm

There are some sailing vessels on the Norfolk Broads that have no engines at all.
They push them along with wooden poles like punts. Quant pole to be more accurate.
I have access to another sailboat which has a saildrive and although it has it's positives, I think I would prefer an outboard or inboard as it is not the easiest boat to steer and navigate in reverse especially when coming in to moor with a breeze. This is due to the rudder being too far away from the source of propulsion. However, having said that, due to the saildrive being quite central in terms of the cockpit location, it does very well powering along with just a 7hp Volvo Penta as it does not stick it's stern in and raise it's bow like a 1980's Renault.
I have quite a hefty boat with large rudder and diesel engine and it can be moored up like reversing a car into a parking bay. Same thing though, a strong wind and it can all go to pot as I found out recently.
20hp is plenty I would imagine and I see you have a reverse counter transom which is not always the easiest transom to fit an outboard bracket.

Redemption26

Post by Redemption26 » January 16th, 2018, 8:38 am

Hi High Seas not sure if this is the right area / forum to ask but when are you doing another live YouTube? Really enjoyed it. I am up to 72 I think the crash vid.
Thanks.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » January 16th, 2018, 2:18 pm

I really enjoyed the live broadcast but the data signal on the vast majority of the waterways here is pretty poor.
What I really wanted was to build up a list of questions from my viewers and subscribers and then try and answer them all in a live session. :D