Click here to find out more on Amazon.

Unveiling the Beauty of the Norfolk Broads: A Journey into Liveaboard Living

Vlog series on Youtube
Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

In the serendipitous spring of 2014, an unplanned trip to the Norfolk Broads transformed into a life-altering discovery—the first liveaboard boat. Join me as I narrate my personal odyssey through the chronologically ordered photos and videos that capture the essence of this liverboard journey.

Discovering the Broads: A Coastal Quest

Embarking on a leisurely drive from Sussex with my father, the intention was merely to explore the coastal route and inspect a sailboat for sale on the Norfolk Broads that had captured my father's interest. Little did I know, this journey would unfold into a tale of nautical exploration.

The flat Norfolk landscape posed a challenge in trying to locate the elusive Broads by road. As we roamed tirelessly, the landscape revealed sailboats traversing fields—a peculiar sight. Boatyards dotted our path, each holding the remnants of dreams turned into vessels. Having grown up around boats, a latent passion stirred within me.

It wasn't until stumbling upon a sailboat named High Seas in a commercial boat yard that the spark ignited. The allure of adventure beckoned, and in April's lingering cold, I decided to turn this boat into a summer project—an opportunity for a frugal holiday, immersed in the restoration of a vessel.

The Boat Project Unveiled

The plan was simple—haul the boat out of the water, give it a fresh coat of paint, and potentially sell it. Little did I foresee that my desire to make it a liveable space would evolve later. For now, the focus was on restoring the hull.

Loaded with gear, tools, and my trusty Jack Russell, Stellar, a working holiday on the Norfolk Broads awaited. Working beneath a boat proved to be a dirty, challenging endeavour, dictated by unpredictable weather. Accidents were commonplace, emphasising the need for a well-equipped first aid kit.

After two months of relentless effort, fueled by beers and countless barbecues, the boat neared completion. The boatyard had introduced me to colourful characters, and my skills had grown exponentially. Life was good, and the prospect of returning to the Norfolk Broads was exhilarating.

A New Adventure Begins

With a sense of accomplishment from an extraordinary summer holiday, the time had come to launch into boating adventures on the Norfolk Broads. High Seas, as the sailboat was named, returned to the water, marking the initiation of my first Norfolk Broads boating season.

Conversations fueled by barbecue-induced enthusiasm led to dreams of sailing to distant shores. Such aspirations were shared among fellow boaters, showcasing the unique camaraderie that defines the boating community. It's an affinity with water that transcends a mere hobby—it taps into primal instincts for adventure and travel.

Wild Birds and Challenges

As the sailboat navigated the waterways, a new world opened up—a serene landscape filled with wild birds and the challenge of navigating through leaning trees. The unique feature of dropping anchor almost anywhere added to the freedom of the Northern Rivers.

Yet, challenges emerged. Mobile phones became futile in certain areas, leading to a withdrawal from Wi-Fi connectivity. The ever-shifting reeds created natural parking bays, offering safety from the hire boats that crowded Stalham and Sutton.

Bruce Roberts and the Unveiling Legacy

High Seas, a creation of Bruce Roberts, revealed its legacy as a 27-foot sailboat with a captivating history. Built in 1980, the boat's creator, located the boat once again after decades, he shared emotional anecdotes about its inception on the Norfolk Broads.

Nelson and I shared a common origin of learning to sail on Barton Broad. Despite initial perceptions of sailing as dull, the reality hit me like a speeding torpedo the first time I hoisted the sails. The thrill, the tilt, and the unexpected chaos within the cabin—the moment was spellbinding, and my journey as a liveaboard enthusiast had truly begun.
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum