'The Norfolk Broads Phenomenon'

is available on Amazon in ebook format.

Click here to find out more on Amazon.

Exploring the Tranquil Waterways of the Norfolk Broads: A Boat Enthusiast's Journey

Vlog series on Youtube
Miles
Site Admin

Exploring the Tranquil Waterways of the Norfolk Broads: A Boat Enthusiast's Journey

Post by Miles »

Embracing the Charm of Boating

As I navigate the waterways, many viewers may have noticed the burner in my boat. Although I haven't showcased it in a video yet, I've been experimenting with flu lengths and setups. Currently, I have a crude setup, but I believe it's the right height. It doesn't obstruct people walking around the boat, providing both functionality and convenience.

Sailing with Technology: A Journey with Samsung S3

My trusty Samsung S3, despite its age, captures the essence of my boating adventures. However, it's on its last legs after enduring the elements three times over. Recently, I had the burner on during a chilly night, creating a cozy cabin atmosphere. Yet, the next morning, the temperature plummeted, showcasing the unpredictable nature of boating.

Boat Maintenance: A Routine Affair

Embarking on a trip to shore, my brother's boat faced leakage issues due to water seeping through where the winches were located. Boat maintenance involves fixing leaks and replacing ply, a routine aspect of boat ownership. Despite occasional inconveniences, the joy of boating remains intact.

Challenges of Boat Living: Feathered Friends and Fishing Lines

One challenge faced by boat dwellers is the proximity of people feeding birds. While picturesque, it can be inconvenient as birds tend to land on boats, creating amusing yet bothersome situations. Leaving a cup on the deck resulted in a bird's precise target practice, showcasing the quirks of life on the water.

Safety Considerations: The Ideal Flu Height

Addressing safety concerns, the flu height is a crucial factor. Regulations suggest a thickness of six centimetres, but I find 60 centimetres to be more suitable. This ensures proper ventilation without causing discomfort or compromising safety.

Technical Insights: Boat Components and Cold-Weather Challenges

Sharing technical insights, my boat features a BorgWarner gearbox with a BMC 1500 engine. Cold starts sometimes lead to clanking noises, requiring additional revs until the engine warms up. Fluid checks become essential for optimal performance.

Navigating Waterways: A Pleasurable Journey

Reflecting on encounters with fishing lines left unattended, it emphasizes the responsibility of both boaters and fishermen. While acknowledging potential conflicts, it's essential for both parties to be vigilant to avoid mishaps.

Moorings and Etiquette: A Delicate Balance

Discussing moorings, especially in winter, brings attention to the delicate balance between boat traffic and fishermen. Proper signage and understanding of right-of-way are crucial for a harmonious coexistence on the water.

Serene Explorations: Winter on the Water

Navigating the waters near Coltishall reveals a serene winter landscape. The journey provides a unique perspective on residential areas, frozen waterways, and the challenges faced by boaters in colder temperatures.

Coltishall: A Riverside Oasis

Approaching Coltishall, a riverside destination, showcases charming houses and picturesque moorings. The peaceful cruise ends with a visit to local pubs, adding a touch of relaxation to the journey.

A Night in Coltishall: Embracing the Cold

Spending the night in Coltishall during the coldest night of the year presented challenges. However, the boat's burner proved effective in providing warmth. As the morning sun rises, I prepare to head back to Rockson, cherishing the memories of a cold yet memorable night.

In conclusion, exploring the waterways offers a mix of challenges and delights. From technical aspects to the beauty of nature, every boating journey is a unique experience, providing a glimpse into the lifestyle of those who call the water their home. #Norfolk #Broads
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum