• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Head On Collision

The Norfolk Broads is famous worldwide for its hire boat industry. Post your questions, answers, or experiences relating to Norfolk Broads boat hire here!
lgwarren

Re: Head On Collision

Post by lgwarren » March 9th, 2018, 10:09 am

Thank you Miles, but I cannot find where it says an incident must be reported. There is a section on their website that has a " Report an Incident " along with a phone number. But it seems to me that there is no Bye-Law that makes this mandatory !! ( I may have missed it ).
If there is no requirement for the Master of the vessel to report a collision, its happy days for the hire companies and their customers. "Hit and Run" seems to be an allowable action.

peterboat

Post by peterboat » March 9th, 2018, 11:04 am

Reading this thread with interest I see that some of you are in stunning looking vessels so clearly being rammed is an issue.O n CRT waters with mostly steel tubs it can be a big deal when you hit another boat [mine weighs over 33 tons] so I exercise care around other boats and to be honest the few hire boats I encounter do the same, must be a broads thing. I know you are right because of the amount of damage I have repaired on the bathtub from collisions!! whilst on the broads [ex hire boat]

Hylander

Post by Hylander » March 9th, 2018, 3:44 pm

When you hire a boat you are required that if you are involved in any kind of collision to take the other boats registration number, boat yard, etc or insurance details and phone the boat yard immediately.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 9th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Screenshot_20180309-180504.png
Number 69 pretty much tells all.
8 and 9 are interesting too as it pretty much states that the vessel should be at a speed where collision can be avoided which could also indicate the requirement to fend off which people don't always do.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 9th, 2018, 6:11 pm

The hire boats do have accident report forms.
I wonder how folks with these £150,000 boats relax with all this mayhem.

lgwarren

Post by lgwarren » March 10th, 2018, 9:04 am

Thank you Miles, and I apologise for not looking deeper.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 10th, 2018, 10:19 am

No apologies necessary. It is valuable information which is little known.
The problem with navigation bylaws on the Norfolk Broads is I suspect you have to find them rather than it been compulsory to read them. It is not feasible to enforce every boater to have a licence, as even in France you need a ticket but the boat hirers escape the requirement.
As a concession, a little 30 minute video or online test for the skipper might save the whole hire boat industry and private boaters a lot of grief.
At the end of the day, when I have a boat smack into the side of mine and I see four other crew members onboard sitting down doing nothing to fend over, this screams out to me that folks are not properly informed of how responsible they need to be for what is happening around them.
I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the hire boat industry to just sit back for a minute and realise that they are putting a penalty and condition on to other boaters which is not ethical.
If they want to make money in the hire boat industry? Then good for them but they should take responsibility for the negative side of the industry which other boaters have tolerated with true dignity.

lgwarren

Post by lgwarren » March 10th, 2018, 10:49 am

I agree.
It is interesting that in No.69 it does say "shall", which I assume means "must"??? In which case there must be a penalty if they do not. As I have now got my teeth into this, I intend to question the BA on the subject.
Maybe I have too much time on my hands !! :D

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 10th, 2018, 11:13 am

Well, the BA have always been spot on when I have had to call it in.
In all fairness, if everyone knew the byelaws, they probably wouldn't have to get called in most of the time.
Always keep a camera handy. :)

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 10th, 2018, 11:29 am

I am coming out of the water soon and when I have finished repairs, I will be avoiding moorings that are ultimately busy.
Seems by having a good tender and mooring on Ranworth broad or similar as opposed to say the actual 24 hour ones, one is less likely to get whacked constantly.
Also takes away the stress and panic of hearing the bow thrusters through your own hull, indicating a forthcoming smash.