• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Head On Collision

The Norfolk Broads is famous worldwide for its hire boat industry. Post your questions, answers, or experiences relating to Norfolk Broads boat hire here!
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Head On Collision

Post by Dances With Otters » October 25th, 2017, 11:20 am

Just be whacked head on by another Richardson's boat R733-5.
Not even an apology.
I have lost count how many times hire boats have crashed into me this year.

⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

nimue

Re: Head On Collision

Post by nimue » October 25th, 2017, 11:50 am

It happens to us regularly, drives us nuts. Not only do they smash into our boats, but then they'll think its funny!!

I get them to report the incident to the hire company, they soon stop smiling.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » October 26th, 2017, 10:35 am

This may come as a surprise to most people but I do find the hire boats like treading on a bee barefoot......and then turning around and treading on a whole lot more for the rest of the season.
But that's just my opinion aaaaaargh! :D

lgwarren

Post by lgwarren » March 8th, 2018, 3:18 pm

I am going to make sure that I report all boats that hit me this year. Not the gentle nudge, but anything my fenders cant be expected to handle. It seems that these hire companies are being shielded from their responsibilities, by us not reporting. I don't want to stop people having fun, but most people need more training. Would anyone put up with the same "collisions" if they were in a public car park, or parked on a public road? I think not

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 8th, 2018, 8:24 pm

If they stop and are polite or even make an attempt to avoid collision, I am okay with it as **** happens.
However, when they hit and run, don't apologise or get cocky, I post the photo on here.
If there is more than one on a boat and no one is fending off I have a selection of choice sentence enhancers.

nimue

Post by nimue » March 9th, 2018, 8:44 am

Last season we were hit by a hire boat and it damaged our paint, when i spoke to the hirer his response was
'how do I know the paint wasn't damaged already?'
He received a few polite but very choice words and I insisted he report the collision to the hire company there and then.
If he had'nt been such an arsehole I would have let it go, but his attitude was dreadful so I forced him to go through the collision process.
The hire company owner was forced to come out at six oclock in the evening to deal with it.
To be honest, he handled it very well.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 9th, 2018, 8:50 am

How do I know the paint wasn't damaged already? Lol
So you colliding with my vessel is just a psychotic episode too, not too worry, carry on then. :?

Actually, I had one a few years ago and when I yelled at him to stop, as he did not even look back, he got right shirty. On been shown the scrape down the side, his response was, You're having a laugh.
I told him that I didn't see anyone laughing and very kindly the hirer in front of me said he would witness it.
In fact the bloke must have been drunk because as I left the area he deliberately started filming me when I went passed.
Hire companies, hope you are reading this. Someone has to take responsibility, it's not down to the private boat owners matey.

lgwarren

Post by lgwarren » March 9th, 2018, 9:05 am

Whilst on the subject, and before the mayhem starts, can anybody fill me in as to what the regulations state about reporting collisions. Are there any BA guidelines ?? Is there a duty to report ??

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 9th, 2018, 9:07 am

It is a Broads byelaw to report an incident. A copy of which is available on this forum for you to download.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 9th, 2018, 9:10 am

Navigation_Byelaws_1995-1.pdf
(84.02 KiB) Downloaded 57 times