Hit By A Hire Boat

The Norfolk Broads is famous worldwide for its hire boat industry. Post your questions, answers, or experiences relating to Norfolk Broads boat hire here!
High Seas
Site Admin

Hit By A Hire Boat

Post by High Seas » August 13th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Herbert Woods boat M824-11 Dancing Light just smashed into the side of my boat and then down the side of the one in front........of course they did not stop.
Why on Earth do this bloody idiots never stop?
And why do hire boat companies deem it acceptable to let them tow dinghies behind already over sized boats which then slap into everyone's boats.
Is it really acceptable for these bloody hire boats to plow into the side of other peoples boats only to just drive off without a care in the world?
Why don't the hire boat companies and furthermore the Broads Authority insist that these hire boaters must stop when they collide? It is a navigational byelaws ffs! :twisted: :arrow: :arrow:
And yes, they damaged my boat...again. It's not catastrophic damage but it's left a nice scrape down the starboard side.

A garboard drain light on the Broads? Nah!

High Seas
Site Admin

Re: Hit By A Hire Boat

Post by High Seas » August 13th, 2017, 3:05 pm

A simple sticker in the cockpit of every hire boat that just says, If you hit another vessel STOP!

Rick H

Post by Rick H » August 13th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Its a fact that you have to exchange details if damage is done in a incident , me I'd report it to Herbert woods and BA n get pics too of the damage , independent witness is the best ever in cases like this , thing is though do they know they are required to stop it should be in the skippers manual although not many I presume read it 😟.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » August 13th, 2017, 4:08 pm

I am fed up with it Rickh.
I am moored up at Wroxham today and I would say over 100 hire boats have gone past me and I would have to say every single one was speeding.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » August 13th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Today I have seen kids driving 45 foot hire boats, is it any wonder. And I mean kids under 10 years old. Not a ranger in sight.

David

Post by David » August 13th, 2017, 5:33 pm

I feel your pain, surprise suprise we had a Herbert Woods boat ram us at St Bennets a few weeks ago the idiot got off to moor the boat with it still in gear and rammed our dingy damaging our davits, and then when he did eventually tie up his craft it was still parked on top of our dingy, I did point out the error of his ways and also showed him the best way to secure the boat to the mooring post,the Herbert Woods trial run instructor had not shown the hirer how to tie off 😡
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money