• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    Emergency Boat Safety Ladder Click Here!

Head On Collision

The Norfolk Broads is famous worldwide for its hire boat industry. Post your questions, answers, or experiences relating to Norfolk Broads boat hire here!
JohnS

Re: Head On Collision

Post by JohnS » March 12th, 2018, 12:03 am

I think the crappy attitude of a lot of hirers when it comes to damaging private boats is the fault of hire companies.
The reason being, hirers think they have no responsibility at all on the rivers, and they think that any damage to either their hire boat or to private boats has all ready been paid for when they sign the hire agreement as they sign a non-refundable damage waiver :shock: :roll: Non-Refundable! There's no insensitive what so ever to try and avoid accidents as there is no refund for careful hirers who bring back a boat in one piece! Years ago I hired boats on the broads, and paid a deposit which was refunded only after the boat was returned damage free. When did refundable deposits stop? Even the name 'damage waiver' implies that hirers don't need to worry about damage :evil:
If there was a deposit required and the hirers were made aware that it would only be refunded if the hire boat was returned undamaged, there was no reports of accidents or incidents and that no speeding fines had been incurred then I think that more care would be taken :roll:
Slightly off subject, some hirers must live like absolute pigs, I've seen boats returned to Richardsonsons in a right state, rubbish left out and sometime they haven't even done there own washing up. Anyone who lives like there's clearly has no self respect or respect for thier hire craft, how can we expect them to respect other peoples property.
Sorry if that was a bit ranty :D

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 12th, 2018, 7:59 am

Well, if they know they are not going to get their collision damage waiver or deposit returned if they bring back a vessel in good order, then that is almost an incentive to play dodgems on the Norfolk Broads.
That's proper messed up and explains a lot too.
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

JohnS

Post by JohnS » March 12th, 2018, 8:10 am

I’m pretty sure that’s the case at Richardson’s anyway. I think there’s a fuel deposit which is refundable which is somewhere in the region of a 100 quid. I’m pretty sure the damage waiver is non refundable. I should try and research this further though just to make sure I’m completely accurate.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 12th, 2018, 8:17 am

If I remember correctly with a hire car the collision damage waiver is non refundable. It is a little charge to take away the stress but if that was not paid then a credit card had to be held. That would certainly change the Broads and how boats get navigated. I think you would find most folks would be out fending off as they should instead of sitting in the cabin trying to get on FB. ;)
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

JohnS

Post by JohnS » March 12th, 2018, 8:37 am

Yes, very true. I think making holiday makers pay a deposit which is refundable would be the fastest way of reducing accidents. Also, if the threat that a speeding fine could be taken from the deposit might reduce the speeds, especially during the schools summer holidays, when you have to be moored up by lunchtime

peterboat

Post by peterboat » March 12th, 2018, 12:09 pm

As an outsider looking in I agree with you entirely, My neighbour Ken hires on the broads 4 times a year and he is annoyed about the waiver as well [hires from Richardsons] He like you believes it breeds bad behavior and lack of respect for other boat users, if its any consolation in CRT waters it can be very similar if you are in an area with high hire boat traffic, they all seem to be trying to complete impossible journeys at times! Not good for private boaters who are just taking their time

lgwarren

Post by lgwarren » March 12th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Non refundable deposit or whatever just seems like an airline add-on. Part of the price.
Its just such a shame that we have to put up with learners, driving rear wheel steering juggernauts, speeding on our roads and doing wheelies everywhere. I certainly think that all hire boats should have compulsory sat nav speedos now. Its not that expensive. 10% of a weeks hire.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 12th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Saw a good few hirers out today.
Looks like it's time for the **** storm again. :evil:
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

avg45

Post by avg45 » March 14th, 2018, 3:47 pm

I also hired boats for many years before owning my own. In those days you had a choice , and they were : take out a refundable insurance policy for the hire period with the boatyard, or a non refundable damage waiver. Can you still do this or is it only the damage waiver that hires can take out? If it is, perhaps it is time to introduce a refundable deposit system as previously mentioned on this post. Hopefully we will all have a stress and collision free year. Happy cruising and sailing to all. :D

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 14th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Well, today has that hint of sunshine and warmth. You must admit, we all get a bit excited when this time comes around again.
Certainly are a few of Richardson's out and I think Easter is only days away.
Happiness in abundance.
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵