Bison Electric Outboard Trolling Motor Review

Vlog series on Youtube
Miles
Site Admin

Bison Electric Outboard Trolling Motor Review

Post by Miles »

Buy your Bison electric motor here https://amzn.to/3JteR1z

Embracing Electric Boating: A Sustainable Voyage

In my pursuit of transitioning to electric boating, I've chosen to embark on this journey by starting from the bottom and working my way up. Alongside another boat named Tantalus, whose engine is currently undergoing a transformation, I'm already procuring components to convert it into an electric powerhouse.

The Shift to Eco-Friendly Propulsion

The latest addition to our fleet is the Broom Speed Boat, and upon its arrival, the first notable characteristic is its substantial weight. Boasting a 100-watt engine, it has caught my attention for several reasons. Despite the reliability of its predecessor, a 1500 diesel engine, the operational costs of the Broom SpeedBoat are more economical. The expense associated with the maintenance of the diesel engine, with parts costing a small fortune, has prompted me to explore the benefits of electric propulsion further.

The Drawbacks of Traditional Engines

The existing diesel engine, though reliable, has its drawbacks. Not only does it consume more money than the efficient BMC engine, but it also poses issues such as a snapped throttle cable and bracket, both costly to replace. The throttle mechanism itself has proven to be inconvenient, occasionally leading to unexpected situations. As I weigh the pros and cons, it's clear that the time has come to bid farewell to the traditional engine.

Testing the Waters

Before making a full commitment to the electric movement, I decided to put the Broom Speed Boat to the test. Given its weight of approximately 250-300 kilograms, which is on the heavier side for motors of its kind, scepticism loomed. However, the prospect of effortlessly moving the boat without the constant hum of a traditional engine was too enticing to resist.

Equipped with a 100-watt electric motor, the Broom Speed Boat surprised me with its agility, even at the lowest setting. What stood out the most was its remarkable turning ability, almost turning on the spot, making it ideal for mooring. As I navigated the river, the silence of the electric motor replaced the familiar roar of the diesel engine, creating a serene and enjoyable boating experience.

A Cost-Effective and Silent Solution

Considering the affordability and the absence of engine noise, the Broom Speed Boat emerged as a cost-effective and environmentally friendly alternative. Priced under $7000, it provided a silent, efficient, and enjoyable mode of transportation. While acknowledging the concerns about battery life, my intended use for short distances and the presence of a solar panel for recharging alleviated any reservations.

Future Ventures into Electric Boating

Convinced by the seamless performance of the electric motor, I am already in the process of transforming Tantalus, our second boat, into an electric-powered vessel. Despite the challenges posed by the current global situation, the commitment to sustainability remains unwavering. With a reserved spot in the boatyard, Tantalus is set for a green makeover during the upcoming weeks.

The prospect of an electrically powered fleet is both exciting and promising. As the restoration of Tantalus progresses, the vision of a silent and eco-friendly boatyard becomes more tangible. With each step, I am solidifying my conviction to go fully electric, contributing to a cleaner and greener boating experience.

In conclusion, the Broom Speed Boat has not only proven the viability of electric propulsion but has also ignited a passion for a sustainable boating future. The journey towards embracing electric boating is well underway, and the horizon looks promising for a quieter, cleaner, and more environmentally conscious maritime experience.

This is the link for the Bison electric outboard trolling motor that I purchased.
https://amzn.to/2zk9VvD
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum