hello to all and info needed

For new members to say hi to the forum if they so wish.
chris44

hello to all and info needed

Post by chris44 » June 29th, 2017, 7:30 pm

hi folks new to the forum , could you point me towards the yearly costs to have a 21ft sailing boat on the broads , insurances safety certs and tolls etc etc , much appreciated.
maybe there is a costing bit on the forum that i havent found yet

edit; could be looking for a 26ft liveaboard sailing boat , 21ft maybe a little on the poky side
im thinking about the liveaboard life full time and the broads seems like a great place to start, any advice would be appreciated, ive been learning and planning for too many years now to make the jump from house to boat , all i need now of course is the right boat .

High Seas

Re: hello to all and info needed

Post by High Seas » June 30th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Bonjour,

Third party insurance would be around £75.
Boat safety should be around £85 if I remember correctly and the Broads tolls you can get from their website but it depends on engine size but as guesstimate maybe £100 - 150.

If you add annual beer allowance then probably around ten grand mark.

chris44

Post by chris44 » June 30th, 2017, 6:36 pm

thanks for the reply and info , ten grand on beer , not so good , pleased i dont drink these days , do you have to move around constantly if your a permanent live aboard ? i know the canal ways give you a hard time over this .
heating over winter has been a troublesome problem , wood burner is my solution as all of the others seem expensive, but even the wood burners have drawbacks , the obvious one being i dont fancy cutting a hole in the deck of a a grp boat , but i reckon i can come up with a decent solution to strengthen the hole area.

High Seas

Post by High Seas » July 3rd, 2017, 1:40 pm

I felt exactly the same about making a hole through the roof and that is why I waited two years till I was 1000% certain of where it was going to go.
Moorings are never a problem, 24 hours and then move to the next stop.
Have I ever overstayed?
Oh yes, for sure, definitely in the winter.
If I am moored up in the middle of nowhere during the dark winter months, I will stay a little longer as sometimes it is too cold to move or even too windy. If a flotilla of boats suddenly arrived, then I would shoot off and be sportsmanlike about it.
To be totally honest, in the winter months I would be lucky to see more than half a dozen of boats out and about. I have travelled fom Stalham to Beccles in the winter and passed one boat before.
I have had the wood burner for less than a year now and would not even consider another boat without one.
its all about the dry heat and that is not what you just want but whatr you need in the winter months.
Carbon monoxide alarm and smoke alarm available in Roys for £20, you cant go wrong but have to be careful. :D

chris44

Post by chris44 » July 4th, 2017, 8:31 pm

thanks for the reply , much appreciated,
i suppose now all i need to do is find the right twin keeled boat , was thinking of a westerly centaur , strong hulls so they say , sounds like you need them on the broads with the holiday crowd , i need also to get a bank balance suitable enough to last me a few years until i need an income.
I have much planning and thinking to do .