• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

A Common Sense Issue With Water & Electric?

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

A Common Sense Issue With Water & Electric?

Post by Dances With Otters » May 20th, 2018, 5:56 am

Have you ever wondered why the two electric posts and water hoses at Sutton Staithe are so close together?
Same too applies at Hoveton?
And Coltishall has but one. How's that supposed to work on such a long mooring?

Furthermore, none of the water hoses at Sutton Staithe reach even half way down the Staithe.

Just a thought but I can't help but think it is a total no brainer.

⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

JohnS

Re: A Common Sense Issue With Water & Electric?

Post by JohnS » May 21st, 2018, 11:16 pm

Especially when there's overstayers camping next to them!
Shame they can't put water and leccy on further down by the long stretch of moorings the other side of the parish moorings.

BEN

Post by BEN » May 22nd, 2018, 8:57 am

It's purely down to cost,the further apart they are, the longer the trench, the longer the cable, the more the cost.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » May 22nd, 2018, 9:00 am

I am sure most boaters would happily lay the cable free of charge if that is the case. How much does it cost to dig a trench?
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

BEN

Post by BEN » May 22nd, 2018, 2:46 pm

A heck of a lot, first BA has to propose it and get is approved at meetings, then a tender has to be put out, then the tenders gone through and one choosen and approved by the committees all costing money.

The the main contractor will hire a mini digger, transport it to site, to be operated by a qualified man and his safety man to dig the trench. Then hired in a qualified electrician and his man to install the cable and posts.
No doubt the electricity suppliers will want a chunk of money to connect to their line and approve the installation. Then fill the hole in again..

Throuigh out this there will be a BA man responsible for checking the work is done to the apporved method, so when it is all completed it will have to be signed off. Then of course there will be a BA publicity excersize and junket to say to the public look what we have done...

I wouldn't be suprised at 5 grand a post if not double that.

JohnS

Post by JohnS » May 24th, 2018, 8:33 am

Totally agree there’s way too much paper stamping and meetings for my liking, and I expect for most toll payers I imagine. They probably think that they are impressing us with all the planning etc, I think in reality there’s too many trying to justify their jobs and wages.
As for the costs, to have the posts further apart I’d have thought the only significant increase in cost would be the price of the cable? And maybe a small increase in labour? for the extra hour or so to dig the extra length, the other costs should really be the same. (Perhaps not at Sutton to go past the parish moorings) but should’ve been easy enough on the green at Sutton.