• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Confessions Of A BA Toll Checker

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Confessions Of A BA Toll Checker

Post by Dances With Otters » May 19th, 2018, 10:04 am

I have a confession to make and it is quite simply this, I used the Broads Authority toll checker for the first time and it felt awful.
It felt awful because I think it is intrinsically wrong.
I complained to the Broads Authority about this some time ago, probably over a year ago now.
I was told that it was just like checking to see if a car was taxed which I took at face value at the time but looking back in hindsight now, I realise that is total B*l*o*k*.
The reason you can check a car is taxed is to determine if it is legal before you jump in it and drive down the road.
The aim of the BA Toll checker is to snoop on the toll status of another boat and it's just wrong.
Why on Earth should members of the public be able to see if a boat is tolled or not? It is nothing to do with them.
The Broads Authority has a register of 12,000 boats, give or take a few and they can see from their computer screens who has paid and who has not.
I see people like Paladine with nothing better to do than take photos of other boats at Stalham, Ludham and many other places and post his findings on another forum. In addition, watching folks constantly checking tolls on their phones like it's any of their business anyway.
The Norfolk Broads is a wonderful place to relax and holiday. Is it really necessary to create a boat society where people are encouraged to snoop on other boats? Because at the end of the day, the nosey people are quite simply powerless to do anything about it if a boat is not tolled anyway and all they can actually do is gossip about it.
Why not just reintroduce the tolls plaques and then leave everyone in peace ☮️?
The system was not broken before so why fix it?
The system now is just like the rest of the country, covered in CCTV. :roll: :roll: :roll:

⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

Hylander

Re: Confessions Of A BA Toll Checker

Post by Hylander » May 20th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Personally I think it is a good idea. If you have paid your tolls you have no worries. If you want to check up on a boat you think has not paid his/her tolls then fine. Why should you pay yours and they get a way with it. Sorry no conscience whatsoever on this one.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Re: Confessions Of A BA Toll Checker

Post by Dances With Otters » May 20th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Oh, you are quite right in many ways, however, if someone was to locate a boat that had no tolls paid, then went on to report it to the B.A.........nothing has been achieved as you are only telling the B.A. what they already know.
So what is the point?
By the way the rangers have their own personal smartphone app that does not rely on the toll checker.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵