Click here to find out more on Amazon.

Discovering the Norfolk Broads Oddity: Berney Arms Railway Station

Vlog series on Youtube
NBF
Site Admin

Post by NBF »

Today, I am thrilled to unveil a hidden gem that many might not be familiar with – a Norfolk Broads oddity, tucked away in the picturesque landscape of Breydon Water. Whether you're a local or a traveller, this might just be the unique adventure you've been seeking.

To embark on this discovery, head to the renowned Berney Arms mill, a prominent landmark in the Norfolk Broads. Situated near the top of Breydon Water, with St.Olaves to the south and Norwich to the north, this location serves as your starting point for an extraordinary experience.

Don't be deterred by the closed pub at the end, as there are moorings nearby. The Berney Arms, once a lively establishment, unfortunately fell victim to vandalism and attempted arson. Consequently, it's temporarily closed. But fear not, as the real intrigue lies just beyond.

Now, let's talk about what makes this place truly fascinating. If you gaze into the distance, you'll notice an enigmatic sight. I'll guide you there shortly, but first, let's appreciate the surroundings. The ambiance here is far from typical English scenery; it resembles a scene straight out of the Dutch countryside. Fields, reeds, and the melodies of birds surround you, creating a unique atmosphere.

The mill we've just left behind stands alone, emphasising the vastness of this tranquil environment. And now, let's reveal the Norfolk Broads oddity – the Berney Arms railway station, inconspicuously positioned amidst this natural beauty.

Remarkably, this quaint station offers a link between Norwich and Great Yarmouth. Imagine the surprise when you discover it even has a help point, serving two trains per day. This revelation adds a touch of charm to the daily commute narrative, challenging the perception that train travel is mundane and black-and-white.

To reach this unexpected gem, simply moor up by the mill, and within a short five-minute stroll, you'll find yourself at the Berney Arms railway station. The journey is undoubtedly worth the effort, offering a glimpse into a lesser-known aspect of this captivating region.

In conclusion, the Norfolk Broads hold not only natural beauty but also intriguing surprises like the Berney Arms railway station. The next time someone mentions their train commute, you can share a unique story that goes beyond the ordinary. Farewell for now, and I hope you enjoyed this discovery as much as I did. #Norfolk #Broads
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum