• Administrator

A Solution To Silly Season

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

A Solution To Silly Season

Post by Dances With Otters » April 1st, 2018, 6:58 am

With the advent of the boating season comes the inclusion of several hundred hire boats many of which are too large for their customers to handle and furthermore too big for the Norfolk Broads.
A simple solution could be to have ranger wardens at popular moorings as they do at Reedham, Yarmouth and Norwich. The main purpose being to assist them in mooring up but that is probably more down to the companies that hire them out.
In addition, ranger wardens could be there on duty till midnight and back in at 6 am. The reason being to deal with people running their engines late at night. People turning up in the pitch black without navigation lights crashing into boats whilst drunk. Finally, they could be there at 6 am to knock on the boats that start their engines at the crack of dawn for no apparent reason.
Surely, that is just common sense to have these measures when the rivers fill up.

⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

nimue

Re: A Solution To Silly Season

Post by nimue » April 1st, 2018, 12:44 pm

I doubt the BA will throw those sort of resources at the problem, they wouldn't want to pay for it!
A thought though, yes, everyone knows there is a problem with hire boat behaviour, but do the authorities know the full extent?
Yes, we report incidents and rule breaking, whether innocent or not, but does anyone actually collate this information to show how much it goes on.
Seemingly random ( to the hire companies) complaints are most likely disregarded and not recorded . However, if there was one focal point to log the incidents it would show the true picture.
In these modern days, data is king, if there is enough information it cannot be ignored!

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Re: A Solution To Silly Season

Post by Dances With Otters » April 1st, 2018, 5:39 pm

I have been harping on about it for tonks. Some of the Hirers think I am so anti them but I am not at all, it's the bloodying big four.
I think a simulator would be a good idea.
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵