Night-tme Engines Running

General Broads related posts.
High Seas
Site Admin

Night-tme Engines Running

Post by High Seas » April 1st, 2018, 6:48 am

2018-04-01_06-40-13.jpg
2018-04-01_06-36-46.jpg
I post these photos for the benefit of the hire boat companies so they can see where they are failing in their responsibilities to correctly inform their customers of what not to do on a hire boat.
This Sapphire Light 1 started the engine up at 10:30 at night and Herbert Woods have the noisest boats of them all.
Despite myself and every other boaters flashing our torches at them for the best part of twenty minutes they continued to run their engines until the penny finally dropped.
Now, are these just arrogant people who think stuff you or are they simply innocent folks hiring a boat who haven't been told they should not be running their engines so late at night?.
I put that question to Herbert Woods.

Liveaboard or liveathome?.....that is the question

nimue

Re: Night-tme Engines Running

Post by nimue » April 1st, 2018, 12:47 pm

Did Herbert woods reply?

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » April 1st, 2018, 5:35 pm

Sorry, I meant in general as I have not contacted them.
Liveaboard or liveathome?.....that is the question

Hylander

Post by Hylander » April 2nd, 2018, 8:21 am

You can see immediately what has happened here. They forget they are not at home with constant electricity and run every light possible and the TV going 12 hours a day and all of the gadgets and then its oh my god the fridge isnt working and then darkness and then as you say the penny drops so its bang on the engine. It doesn't even occur to them that they are annoying the rest of the Broads because that is who can hear an engine running, you can hear for miles. Education is what is needed. Lets face it, when you take over a boat for your holiday mind is thinking of so many things and then along comes an engineer who tries desperately to get your attention for 5 minutes to show you the ropes (sorry for the pun). It must be a pretty thankless task for them at times. What is said to the customer is forgotten within 5 minutes, I know I have been one of those customers so it happens to all of us. Having your own boat as we did (yes I am one of those dreaded hirers now) you very quickly catch on that you dont waste water or your batteries. The trouble is this is once a year not every day or every week and in all of the excitement things do get forgotten. At least this boat did turn the engine off.

I can fully understand someone running an engine in an engine in an emergency but you generally do pop along to your neighbours and explain.