• Administrator

First Whack Of The Season

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

First Whack Of The Season

Post by Dances With Otters » March 30th, 2018, 10:48 pm

First whack of the season. :evil:
A boat attempted to moor in front of me in total darkness and pouring rain this evening and promptly thumped the bow.
On opening the hatch and asking what was going on, I was met with an apology and a we are having difficulty speech. Well, I know that already I thought. Your boat is forty five feet long and that space is not. I asked if they were a hire boat and the reply I got was, not really.
I can but only return to my cabin and take a deep breath and imagine fluffy sheep bouncing over a fence.
Not really? Is that a yes or a no?

⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Re: First Whack Of The Season

Post by Dances With Otters » March 31st, 2018, 7:42 am

Turns out it was a hire boat after all moving around in the pitch black, no surprise then it crashed into me.
Well good luck folks and don't forget profit comes before safety.
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

nimue

Post by nimue » March 31st, 2018, 9:18 am

Well that didn't take long!
You'd think you'd be safe after dark at least! What were they thinking???
I hope you reported the incident.
In the USA, they report anyone who makes wash, let alone actual collisions.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 31st, 2018, 9:43 am

I've lost the will power to be honest.
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

nimue

Post by nimue » March 31st, 2018, 9:47 am

Don't let the B**star** grind you down!
Last night was just the tip of the iceberg, we all know what's coming.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 31st, 2018, 11:33 am

There were a whole flotilla of boats this morning anytime after 6am all running their engines. As I mentioned some idiot navigating in the dark. It is always the same company and the same nonsense over and over again. They just don't take the time to tell people what is expected of them in a hire boat.
I have never been bit by a small boat hire company apart from day boats as the companies take the time to educate their customers about what is an acceptable code of conduct.
It is the same companies every single time. Running the engines, hit and runs, moving around in the dark, untying ropes.
It's diabolical to be fair.
Personally, I have raised the issue for years and even made a video about it but nothing changes. Handing the keys of monstrous hire boats to people who at times have not got a clue what end of the boat it is.
A chap has just left now after running his engine all morning and nearly took a Mariner 100 of the back of a boat whilst two lads on top just stood there pulling funny faces. Who is to blame? Who.is responsible? It certainly is not the private boat owners who have to put up with his crap.
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

nimue

Post by nimue » March 31st, 2018, 11:52 am

We're with you all the way. We intend to report any collisions through the proper channels, eventually the statistics will be enough to force things to change.
The squeaky wheel always gets the grease.

Hylander

Post by Hylander » March 31st, 2018, 2:33 pm

Whilst the two lads etc

And there lies the problem. If this is the standard that their parents set to smash into someone in the dark when they have been told not to cruise after dark, then it is no wonder the kids think it is funny. As you say profit before safety every. Boats are getting far too big for the rivers. I have no doubt they all know not to cruise after dark but all leave it far too late. I assume they left wherever late and had their sights set on a certain part of the Broads for their first night.

Accidents do happen and a smash then is unavoidable. We were witness one day to a boat coming out of Richardsons. Quite a big lad and his Dad at the helm , everything was fine when the old guy suddenly disappeared. He had missed his footing at the helm and slipped down the steps dislocating his shoulder in the process. Poor lad didnt know whether to rescue his father or helm the boat. The hire boat did smash into the private moorings but we could all see this was an accident and nothing more. We all rallied round and helped them as much as we could. Their holiday had only just begun and finished more or less instantly.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 31st, 2018, 5:25 pm

I don't want to prevent anybody from enjoying boating on the Broads but there should be more regulations on the size of the boats. The fundamental fact is that they are too big for the waterways. Is 25/30 feet not enough. Why have 45 foot boats towing 12 foot dinghies behind and expect them to get from A to B without hitting everything. I mean look at Ludham, Neatishead,Stalham an Sutton, there is barely enough room to get down into these places let alone deal with very heavy boat traffic. It's just not something that had been thought out properly. If you were permitted 60 foot boats up here, then there would be 60 foot hire boats. It's ridonkeylous.
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » April 1st, 2018, 6:51 am

So as with the other post, I put these comments up to help the hire boat companies, almost always the big ones to realise that something is wrong here and it's either them as a company or their customers.
In this case I was hit by a Richardson's hire boat navigating in the pitch black.
Are they innocent customers who have not been informed correctly or are they just people at the helm and are not bothered?
Either way, something is wrong.
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵