First Whack Of The Season

General Broads related posts.
David

Re: First Whack Of The Season

Post by David » April 1st, 2018, 10:48 am

I can sympathise with you I popped round to Sutton yesterday afternoon saw how packed it was and turned round and headed for Gays Staith, on Richos trial runs the hirer is told not to navigate at night it’s also in the skippers hand book in bold writing, now weather the hirer takes any notice is an other thing, as you say you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink

A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » April 1st, 2018, 12:20 pm

Well I've just watched a Faircraft Loynes hire boat smash into the the notorious Pelican at Stalham Staithe. Might be an eyesore and a fire hazard at the end of the day but they smashed the outboard cowling and quite possibly the engine too I would imagine
Despite the shouting of a South African woman's greatest attempts to stop the hire boat, they departed which is the same story time after time.
I think at the end of the day this clearly highlights an issue that is not addressed.
Liveaboard or liveathome?.....that is the question

nimue

Post by nimue » April 1st, 2018, 12:56 pm

I do hope the hire companies read the comments on here.
No doubt on paper their SOP's dictate clear instructions will be given to their customers, and in the eyes of the insurers etc, the box is ticked.( Arses covered.)
In reality, if the figures for this weekend are true, the logistics and the man hours to get all those boats out would be quite a challenge, and expensive in wages for the people who do the introductions before the boats go out.
I can't imagine a holiday maker putting up with being in a queue waiting for his training and walk round for eight hours because they have to do it properly.

peterboat

Post by peterboat » April 1st, 2018, 5:15 pm

Silly question time, is their a maximum size on the broads? I have wondered as the biggest boat I have seen for hire is 45 ish by 12

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » April 1st, 2018, 5:34 pm

I thought past Acle it was forty five foot. Certainly a lot bigger ones down on the south. In fact up until only a few decades ago, ships would go up to Norwich. Different world down there.
Liveaboard or liveathome?.....that is the question

Hylander

Post by Hylander » April 2nd, 2018, 8:28 am

High Seas wrote:
April 1st, 2018, 12:20 pm
Well I've just watched a Faircraft Loynes hire boat smash into the the notorious Pelican at Stalham Staithe. Might be an eyesore and a fire hazard at the end of the day but they smashed the outboard cowling and quite possibly the engine too I would imagine
Despite the shouting of a South African woman's greatest attempts to stop the hire boat, they departed which is the same story time after time.
I think at the end of the day this clearly highlights an issue that is not addressed.
What boat is this then. We moored at the Golf moorings at Richardsons for years and Broads Edge but dont recall a boat called Pelican.
Last edited by Hylander on April 2nd, 2018, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carpetman

Post by Carpetman » April 2nd, 2018, 2:20 pm

Surely navigating at night without nav lights would breach local bylaws and / or collision regs.
Would it not follow then all boat owners and hirers should be fined for this.

I think as already said when someone picks up their hire boat they have too much going on in their heads to take everything in::,
so why not send them a basic rules document upon reciept of booking a holiday. This can then inform of possible fines, also they could leave a security amount on a credit card to cover these fines, same when you hire a car.

Hylander

Post by Hylander » April 2nd, 2018, 3:09 pm

Carpetman wrote:
April 2nd, 2018, 2:20 pm
Surely navigating at night without nav lights would breach local bylaws and / or collision regs.
Would it not follow then all boat owners and hirers should be fined for this.

I think as already said when someone picks up their hire boat they have too much going on in their heads to take everything in::,
so why not send them a basic rules document upon reciept of booking a holiday. This can then inform of possible fines, also they could leave a security amount on a credit card to cover these fines, same when you hire a car.
What an excellent idea.

Vetchugger

Post by Vetchugger » April 2nd, 2018, 3:46 pm

Years ago this did actually happen! "Hoseasons Boaters Handbook" came with every booking and was stuffed with all sorts of advice and rules. Even had a couple of pages for you to fill in a holiday log. Well worth looking out for these on fleabay as they do bring back memories.