• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Sutton Broad Getting Smaller

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Sutton Broad Getting Smaller

Post by Dances With Otters » February 21st, 2018, 7:49 am

I stood at Sutton Staithe only last week looking across the broad and it suddenly occurred to me just how much narrower it looked than last year. There is no doubt in my mind that the route into Sutton is narrower than it was.

⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

avg45

Re: Sutton Broad Getting Smaller

Post by avg45 » February 21st, 2018, 6:22 pm

Yes Miles I have noticed that, it is more like a river than a Broad. Perhaps it is time it was cut back to the original tree line and dredged!!!

When all else fails, open another bottle of red.

Alan

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » February 22nd, 2018, 12:25 pm

Many thanks to the member who forwarded these photos of the Sutton Broad. As you stated I can't view the website on mobile but will do later.
I am actually quite intrigued by these photos, particularly the one from the forties. Simply because I thought the broad would have been fully opened back then but clearly it was not, unless it is ice in the photo?
What intrigued me further is that Sutton was used commercially with Sutton Mill around the corner and I believe the boats were ferrying back and forth to Yarmouth. How the hell anyone managed to navigate a wherry in and out of Great Yarmouth? totally perplexes me, however, they clearly did.
Now I got to thinking that at some point in time this whole Sutton Broad would have been opened up and to this day you can still see the perimeter of it if you look closely. What I was thinking is that from an archaeological perspective, the chances of there being some old crafts and vessels in those reeds is very, very high. I just wish I could get to a desktop as with satellite imagery, I bet there might be some anomalies there.
Sutton 1946.jpg
Sutton 1988.jpg
Sutton Bing Maps.jpg
Possibly now
2018-02-22_12-20-06.jpg
Sutton Mill Feb 2018
Sutton Mill is worth a visit if you have not seen it? Lot of work going on but still quite impressive.

The Broads is encroaching as I looked yesterday, in areas it is over by 30/40 feet.
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

BEN

Post by BEN » February 22nd, 2018, 12:50 pm

it's been getting smaller for centuries.
IN days gone by it was called Stalham Broad, see here...

fadens map 190
http://fadensmapofnorfolk.co.uk/mapBrow ... d=0&Zoom=1

1841 Map
http://maps.nls.uk/view/120849506#

1905 Map
http://maps.nls.uk/view/120849509