Broads National Park?

Waffle

General Broads related posts.
avg45

Broads National Park?

Post by avg45 » February 17th, 2018, 3:04 pm

I have just been browsing on the other Forum and am most surprised that the same 5 or six members are still going on about the Broads and National Park status. The same group who are forever running down all the good work the BA do, and who shouted me down when I complained that some boatyards were charging extortionate prices for red diesel and in some cases more than DERV.
Most of them are saying it is not a NP, a couple are saying it is and if not why not? For pity's Sake what is wrong with those people, have they not got a life to lead and enjoy. They don't seem to have a positive word to say about any subject they post about. I live in the South Downs National Park and it has made no difference to the area apart from bringing in revenue and tourism, so why do they keep knocking it? They sound like a real load of NIMBYS who want to keep the lovely Norfolk Broads to themselves. Perhaps I have hit the nail on the head. After all if it looks like a Duck, walks like a Duck and quacks like a Duck, its pretty certain that IMHO it is most probably a Duck.

I read that red wine is bad for you so I have given up reading !!! :lol:

Alan

JohnS

Re: Broads National Park?

Post by JohnS » February 18th, 2018, 12:11 am

As I understand it, the reason many boaters are opposed to the broads becoming a national park is the fear that navigation on the rivers may be distrupted by the Sandford princable, which if the broads became a national park the BA would have to adhere to. The Sandford principle could if implemented, mean that rights of navigation could be reduced in order to gain a higher level of conservation. I doubt very much that any boaters opposed to a change in status of the broads would oppose it because "they want to keep it to themselves"
Personally, while I agree we should protect the natural environment where possible, I'd find it hard to support anything that could infringe on my right to navigate the rivers of the broads.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » February 18th, 2018, 9:08 pm

I have met some people who have actually got quite agitated when I suggested it was just a label and meant nothing.
You are quite right about the emphasis being put on conservation but when you see the bins having been taken away then it does slightly smell a bit like a load of tosh to me.
At the end if the day, people will always refer to it as the Broads, so why fix it if it ain't broke?
If You Lay Down With Dogs, You Get Up With Fleas :roll:

BEN

Post by BEN » February 19th, 2018, 9:34 am

The National parks depend on two principles, As shown here in a quote from the UK Governments National parks page.

"Managing a national park is challenging. It needs the right balance between conservation and recreation. National park authorities need to conserve wildlife and habitats, but also encourage people to enjoy and learn from the countryside. This can cause conflicts.

To help national park authorities make decisions between conservation and recreation, the National Parks Policy Review Committee made a recommendation in 1974, which is now known as the 'Sandford Principle', named after Lord Sandford who was chair of the committee.

Sandford Principle
"Where irreconcilable conflicts exist between conservation and public enjoyment, then conservation interest should take priority"

This principle was updated in the 1995 Environment Act, to say;

"If it appears that there is a conflict between those purposes, [the National Park Authority] shall attach greater weight to the purpose of conserving and enhancing the natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage of the area"

In other words: If there is a conflict between protecting the environment and people enjoying the environment, that can't be resolved by management, then protecting the environment is more important."

I've highlighted the last sentence.

The Norfolk Broads has a Three principles, quoted from the B.A's own publications.

" Conserving and enhancing the natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage of the Broads;

 Promoting opportunities for the understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of the Broads by the public; and

 Protecting the interests of navigation. "

These are all of equal standing in the Broads act.

In the Past Mr Packman has attempted, to have the Broads made into a National park, and the UK government has thrown it out. However he has recently got permission from the courts to use the National Park Brand. for Marketing only.

I and many others do not trust Mr Packman, he claims to have changed his mind and now is not seeking National Park status. However he is very much promoting the National Park Status and you only have to read his statements to see he is trying to convince people it is a national park. This the courts did not permit him to do

Mr Packman is not helped by other bodies such as the Norfolk Wildlife trust and the RSPB both supporting turning the Broads into a National Park.
The NWT have in the past been very anti navigation however they seem to have changed their tune a bit lately since they bought Hickling Broad.
The RSPB actually tried to stop people using the right of Navigation across Horsey Mere, if the Broads had been a National Park they could well have been successful..

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » February 19th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Mr Packman is not helped by other bodies such as the Norfolk Wildlife trust and the RSPB both supporting turning the Broads into a National Park.
So are they with him on this? I am a little confused by the wording of that paragraph.

Also the hire boat industry must be crapping themselves as it sounds like they could call the plug on all boating.

JohnS

Post by JohnS » February 19th, 2018, 7:23 pm

The more I look into this, the more sceptical I am. I feel it'd be a bad day for boaters if the broads ever got NP status. It may only be small bits of legislation at first, but over time they'd be more and more rules and regs. Maybe banning wild moorings? introducing fuel restrictions? Removal(or not approving new cell masts)? Higher tolls to pay for extra conservation? And eventuality more no go zones for boats? My fears may be unfounded, and they are just examples of the sort of things I could see happening. I doubt it'd ever go back if it'd become a NP. I also worry that by the BA having permission to use the title of National Park that it'd be a back door way of introducing NP status.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » February 19th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Anything that does not have the say of the people or rather at least a vote either way is what I find disconcerting.

BEN

Post by BEN » February 20th, 2018, 10:43 am

High Seas wrote:
February 19th, 2018, 5:42 pm

So are they with him on this? I am a little confused by the wording of that paragraph.

Also the hire boat industry must be crapping themselves as it sounds like they could call the plug on all boating.
If you read the NWT and RSPB websites about the Broads, they both would like the Broads to be a full National Park with or without BA and JP assistance.

The boating hire companies, many have taken up the National Park branding, since Most hire use is on the main rivers they probably would have little problem with it becoming a national Park. those of use which like to use the full broads, I.E. above Heigham bridge, Hoveton bridge are most worried about loss of access.

Just when is the "temporary closure " of Cockshoot Broad going to be ended?

avg45

Post by avg45 » February 21st, 2018, 6:18 pm

I am sorry if I have caused dissention by opening this thread, but I do not think that the NWT or any other body would be able to influence the navigation of the broads even if it is or becomes a National Park. There is too much money and employment involved for it to make such drastic changes to the way Broads are run. !!!

JohnS

Post by JohnS » February 21st, 2018, 6:30 pm

I hope your right AVG45. I remain sceptical however given the obligations that the BA would have should it become a NP.
Let’s hope it never happens,
Don’t be sorry about the post, I don’t think dissension is a bad thing, in fact I think it’s a topic worthy of debate, which ever side of the fence we are sitting ;)