Few more people could do getting caught.

General Broads related posts.
Scardinus

Few more people could do getting caught.

Post by Scardinus » January 9th, 2018, 6:31 pm

JohnS

Re: Few more people could do getting caught.

Post by JohnS » January 9th, 2018, 7:02 pm

Agreed, unless they start prosecuting more speeders it’ll never stop. Hirers on the rivers pretty much know there safe from prosecution. The worst group of speeders last year in my opinion were the day boats! In particular the broads tours day boats, saw some impressive speeds last summer, not sure why they can’t put some sort of speed limiter in them.

High Seas
Site Admin

Re: Few more people could do getting caught.

Post by High Seas » January 10th, 2018, 6:06 am

Head of ranger services:
which should send a clear message to the small number of careless boaters that speed,” she said.
I would suggest whoever made that statement should come out on the rivers sometime and see for herself that she clearly does not know what she is taking about. No offence meant to her and I know the rangers can't be everywhere but she is talking total rubbish.

Also, it depends on what type of boat it is.
You can get a small fishing dinghy making much more wake than a 45 foot hire boat doing half the speed.

Some areas are worse than others.
Got to say though, when you see so many people speeding in the summer and remaining unchallenged and then you read about a chap here getting fined hideous amounts of money then it sends out a wrong message.
The message it sends out is that speeding is not dealt with properly and that as a result a small insignificant boat will getting a whopping fine.
There is no threats of erosion in the city where as out on the rivers you have enormous craft speeding and damaging the banks.
So what I see here is someone getting fined probably more than they deserve and can afford and everyone else getting away with it.
If it is the same boat I am thinking about? The boat was moored illegally and indefinitely along the residential area of the riverside in the city. The owner lived in one of the council tower blocks situated behind the Wensum Centre.
I find it remarkable that such a heavy fine was ordered when as stated by another member, the speeding hire fleets remain unchallenged.
Liveaboard or liveathome?.....that is the question