• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Collision Black Spots

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Re: Collision Black Spots

Post by Dances With Otters » December 22nd, 2017, 5:20 pm

That is where a private boat has put a sign telling people not to.
If you moor up at Stalham Staithe in the summer and you are not tucked right in the corners then you can expect to get your boat hit all day long....... guaranteed.

⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

JohnS

Post by JohnS » December 22nd, 2017, 6:52 pm

Well I guess the bloke with the sign doesn’t mind other boats getting hit, as long as it’s not his 🙄.
It’s the boating version of nimbyism lol

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » December 22nd, 2017, 6:56 pm

I'm alright Jack :roll:

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 25th, 2017, 7:10 pm

I got hit at Thurne mouth on the moorings on the starboard side, rusty quay heading bits, before the bend that the Bure makes heading towards Acle! Strange considering the river was empty if all boats and it's at least 300' wide there.... But obviously the Herbert Woods day boat reg no 543Y-6 had difficultly navigating the huge patch of water and was drawn magically into my port side so smashing everything up as they passed with laughs and screams of hilarity issuing from it and much use of the increasing of the throttle as they wer now tangled in my horshoe bouy. Fortunately they were able to pull free with no damage to the hire boat bar a few rubber marks from my burst fenders and a bit of GRP from my cabin roof!

Then a few weeks later whilst moored at St Bennets with no other boat on the quay a private boat decide it needed to park on my stern. I did not say moor because they were not moored but just reversing along the quay until their Volvo penta leg mounted spinny thing commonly called a proppellor, impacted on my rudder so chewing it up and fortunatley stalling their engine! The excuse? "Oh, we thought you were moving off and why isn't your rudder in the proper place? How were we supposed to know your rudder is tied on the back of your boat?" Unfortunatley their boat didn't have a name or toll numbers and the BA couldn't find it even with my picture to help them! I've not seen it since either!

Then I got hit by another private boat above Howe Hill, driver did apologise then and again every time I saw him, later.... Not as badly damaged this time and I was able to use larger screws to re attach my fenders to the wood!

People wonder why I sit in wild moorings and won't go cruising! I've had more damage done to my boat in this last year than I got from the savage sea while cruising round Wales and Lands end! Not counting the lobster pot line round the prop or the large plank that went between the keels into my prop shroud....
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol:

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » December 25th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Some of the hire boat companies will hire a boat to anyone, that's the problem.
Small companies like former Royalls and Summercraft, if they didn't like the look of you, you ain't getting the keys. That's why their boats are immaculate and you never see them fully laden with crates of Strongbow and Stellars.
Do you still have the photo of the boat that hit you?
Fancy having your rudder on the back of your boat and looking like you were leaving when you didn't?
I would have laughed at him....and then called him something that rhymed with plucking flonker.

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 25th, 2017, 7:45 pm

I must say as an addition to the post above, that John at Herbert Woods replaced my burst fenders and smashed horshoe bouy and got one of their seamstresses to make the nice new rear canopy canvases to replace the one ripped by their hire boat.... It's a shame I didn't notice the sprung bulkhead in the heads, the 3 sheared rubbers on the engine mounts, the cracked quarry slab that my woodburner is bolted to or the sheared porthole screws until much later while investigating a leak and vibration which was made worse after a hire boat forced me aground on the river up to Wayford Bridge..... They never even saw me or heard the horn as they howled round the corner on my side of the river. But they were all enjoying singing to the stereo and washing each other in Stella so I can forgive them. Poor souls don't know anything different.

Then of course after the Herbert Woods boat collision and the rudder chewing propellor I was moored in a trespass mooring below Horning water works minding my own business and repairing the damage, safe in the knowledge that no boat could hit me without driving through the trees at either end! Unfortunately I was not safe from people even here....as the good people in their boats and houses didn't like me fixing my boat or me winching my rudder off the stern and repairing it on the bank! Oh no! I have things on the bank and washing on a line and good god, a hammock in the trees! Yup.... 19 complaints and the BA moved me on, so I moved up one mooring, nope can't go there either as it somones favourite fishing spot....lovely people round here.

Amazing how I will move to keep people happy yet I'm still targeted by slanderous individuals who associate me with the vessels in the " how not to live aboard" post. It's got better, a lot better, since I joined this forum and admin have let me post my rants...I think that's now everything off my chest so everything that has troubled me in the past is out there in the big world where anyone can read it..... Living on a boat on the Norfolk Broads is not all its cracked up to be and occasionally reality collides with your dream and boats with your home!

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 25th, 2017, 7:51 pm

No more the photo of the boat that reversed into me.... Didn't know about the forums till later after I was kicked off the wild mooring below Horning....deleted it and the one of the Herbert Woods hire boat smash...sometimes it's quite hard to photograph something when you you are shaking with fight flight adrenalin and rage! This is why I'm going to fit a dash cam with two cameras recording to an SD card that will cover bows and stern of boat. Sadly the acquisition of two 30mm Rarden Cannon that can be slaved into a proximity radar warning system will take much longer to aquire!

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » December 25th, 2017, 10:22 pm

How about a gun punt?

Spindrift

Post by Spindrift » December 30th, 2017, 1:11 pm

High Seas wrote:
December 22nd, 2017, 5:20 pm
That is where a private boat has put a sign telling people not to.
The private boat with the sign is a bit further up towards the staithe from the fork in the river referred to.

I can understand the boat owners concern about being hit by out of control boats but he has no right to put up misleading signage such as that. Perhaps BA should put up a sign at the fork informing skippers of large craft of the situation at the staithe.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » December 30th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Yes, I too understand the need to protect one's craft but directing them to a dead end and an even tighter spot is a bit silly.