Collision Black Spots

General Broads related posts.
High Seas
Site Admin

Collision Black Spots

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 9:22 am

There are two areas you are almost guaranteed to get hit by another boat.
One is Stalham Staithe and the other is Sutton, although Sutton is not as bad as Stalham.
Stalham Staithe is too small to have a forty five foot boat towing a dinghy come down and turn around.
9 times out of 10, the Broad's Museum come out and pull people's bows across while the poor chap moored up there gets his boat hit.
Sutton Staithe in the summer time is heaving, nothing wrong with that other than the vast majority of people coming down do not realise it is a dead end and turn around and leave.
A simple solution to help diminish the amount of boat collisions, put a sign up saying it is a dead end. Simples.

Liveaboard or liveathome?.....that is the question

High Seas
Site Admin

Re: Collision Black Spots

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 9:25 am

There is a private boat moored up at Richardson's which incorrectly informs people with a sign that there is a turning point down at the staithe.
This is not true, only small boats can turn down there.

JohnS

Post by JohnS » December 22nd, 2017, 2:33 pm

Hmm maybe the guy with the sign is near a turning point and just wants them turning away from his boat, someone should tell him to get rid though if it’s causing problems.
The worst spot for me are,
3rd = Sutton Staithe by the green, it terrible there, plenty of turning room at the end but people turn too early where there’s less room!
2nd = Thurne Dyke, people seem to have a problem steering a straight line between boats down there!
And coming in at
No 1 = Ludham bridge, people turning in front of bridge, trying to moor for water, emergency stops because of windscreen heights, people pulling out after re-fielding at George’s and failing to turn in time, people waving at bystanders on bridge and river bank instead of looking in front! The amount of times I’ve been hit there, even when not hit, it’s lile a game of space invaders trying to miss the idiots zig zagging towards the bridge 🤣

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 2:57 pm

Yes, just wants them away from his boat.

David

Post by David » December 22nd, 2017, 4:17 pm

The guy at Richardsons at Stalham with the no turning sighn put it up to stop his and some of the other boats geting hit during the summer by larg hire craft trying to turn round, most of them live on there boats over summer as some of them work at Ricoh's, I do agree that the turning at the staith is limited as I go to Simpsons regularly for pump out
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 4:19 pm

Yes that's what we figured, in fact someone has come out shouting at hire boats in that area on numerous occasions.
The problems with that particular sign is it points people into a dead end and the smallest turning space.

David

Post by David » December 22nd, 2017, 4:26 pm

Yes you are right but I have witnessed hire boats even trying to moor in the privrate moorings next to the boat with the sighn, there is more room to turn now as BA has cut some of the trees back
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 4:29 pm

Haven't they just. I saw today as I came in, they have been busy.

Scardinus

Post by Scardinus » December 22nd, 2017, 5:18 pm

Surely a sign where the river splits into Richardson's yard saying no turning past this point would help, if you can't turn a boat there you shouldn't be on a boat!

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 5:20 pm

That is where a private boat has put a sign telling people not to.