They thought I were you but it was an Honour!

General Broads related posts.
High Seas
Site Admin

Re: They thought I were you but it was an Honour!

Post by High Seas » October 7th, 2017, 1:31 pm

I would just put it down to experience and move on. There are some silly old farts on there and they are really not worth thinking about.

A garboard drain light on the Broads? Nah!

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » October 7th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Well, we'll see. I have no intention of posting on their forum any more no matter what happens, not without an apology anyway. They clearly overestimate the importance of their forum. I'll have to look into the VHF situation myself when I have more time. I hope that when I do, it is perfectly legal to use a VHF in an emergency wthout any form of recourse. Because if it is not (and from what I read it certainly sounds that way), then I'm afraid the British Government have a major f*cking problem on their hands - me.

Putting the cost of a licence on human life is simply not going to be tolerated - and that is that.

Before the thread got hidden I asked the question, what will the next Broads Event be, I wonder?

- A yacht race?
- A pub run?
- A meeting to discuss bringing the British Government into check regards their irresponsible VHF law?

I hear one of the favourite passtimes in Norfolk is hordes of people tapping the ground in some strange ritual attempt to bring worms to the surface. Personally, I think that time would be better spent removing the "worms" from government that are responsible for these laws, and getting the law rectified. I guess we'll see how moral those people of the forum really are. Will they admit the mistake and attempt to save lives, or will they hide behind the internet, removing the posts of those who speak the truth, kidding themselves that all is well while people continue to lose their lives.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » October 7th, 2017, 3:23 pm

That's what we like....a bit of passion

Rick H

Post by Rick H » October 7th, 2017, 3:50 pm

Look this I'd from the RNLI site regarding vhf , it is an offence to use a vhf radio without a licence ( not that the licence is personal not in anyway attached to the vessel ) ( my words ) .
The only time anyone can call up on vhf without a licence is in an emergacy , therefore you can listen in and use it in an emergency without penalty , remember the radios operator who holds the licence might well be the casualty onboard , and in such occasions anyone onboard can use the radio to call for assistance but only that .
Might seam as if its loaded with red tape but it is a major player in ship to shore and ship to ship communications hence the need for all the regs , to me it shouldn't be allowed inland as that's not what its designed for .

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » October 7th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Rick, I appreciate your support in the matter 8-)

I'm extremely relieved to hear that it can be used in an emergency without recourse, thought I have no idea why the paragraph was quoted to me in such a way, cause the impression it gave was the polar opposite!

Speaking of this whole mess, I just noticed NBN have closed down, which I find extremely sad.
I feel they will do anything but admit being in the wrong - I mean what's so hard about that?

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » October 7th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Closed down?

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » October 7th, 2017, 5:33 pm

Last edited by Dreamer on October 7th, 2017, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » October 7th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Well I be buggered.
I wonder why they did not pass that on to someone else?

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » October 7th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Dunno, but it seems a bit dramatic to be closing down a forum that has run for ten years, just like that!

You know what this means, don't you?
You owe me a few grand for sending a whole bunch of new members your way :twisted: ;)

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » October 7th, 2017, 5:45 pm

You think they are following you?....sounds a bit para :D
I could be wrong but the chap who I thought was behind the NBN had a video on YouTube all about restoring a wooden boat. He did mention that he had a few strokes so maybe it is for health reasons.
I am surprised to hear that though. It always seemed a lot more contemporary than the other one.