Click here to find out more on Amazon.

Exploring Norfolk by Boat: A Journey Filled with Surprises

Vlog series on Youtube
Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

It's Thursday morning, around 6:00, and the day promises to be beautiful as I make plans for a trip to Norwich in a couple of days. Today, they are stocking up on supplies, including DIY materials, for their upcoming adventure. Excitement builds as I look forward to exploring more of the river and its scenic surroundings.

On a serene Tuesday morning at approximately 9:00, I set off towards Norwich, but the journey encounters unexpected challenges. First, a wisdom tooth breaks, necessitating an urgent return for medical attention. Additionally, my trusty Samsung 3, which has been my recording companion, takes an unplanned dip in the bilges. With some quick thinking and a makeshift solution, the phone seems to be working, but I remain cautious about possible future issues.

Taking refuge at Stalham Staithe for the night, I awaken to continue my journey. Barton Broad welcomes me, but the strong wind causes some imbalance on the boat, resulting in a minor accident. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful day with opportunities to capture picturesque wildlife moments, like the fascinating herons.

Friday morning arrives with the boater making further improvements to their boat. They work on rebuilding wooden panels, transforming the interior into a more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing space. Attention to detail is essential as they address leaks and fix essential elements like the stanchions. With creativity, they turn challenging aspects, such as a support beam, into attractive features, all while making sure to match the decor for a cohesive look.

As luck would have it, a chance encounter brings valuable treasures. A neighbour, also a boater, generously offers various items from their skip, such as extra fenders, hose pipes, and stainless steel fittings. The thrill of salvaging useful items only adds to the joy of the boating experience.

Throughout the journey, the boater embraces the charm of Norfolk's tranquil waterways and picturesque landscapes. They appreciate the grace of Norfolk wherries, now converted into cabin boats, which are propelled by punting when there's no wind.

In conclusion, this journey through Norfolk's waterways has been filled with surprises, challenges, and delightful discoveries. The boater's passion for boating and their love for their vessel shines through in their quest to make it more comfortable and functional. As they continue their boating adventures, each day becomes a treasure trove of unique experiences, making Norfolk a dream destination for boating enthusiasts. #Norfolk #Broads
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum