Click here to find out more on Amazon.

Norfolk Broads: My Shocking Encounter With A Hire Boat Company

Vlog series on Youtube
Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

In a recent incident, two privately owned boats faced substantial damage, and I'm here to share my firsthand experience with the hire boat company involved. The hire boat company in question is the reputable Horning Ferry Marina. This article delves into the aftermath of the incident and sheds light on the issues encountered during the resolution process.

The unfortunate event unfolded as the hire boat hastily fled the scene post-collision. This incident prompted me to report the matter to both the Broad Authority and the hire boat company. For those unfamiliar with the Norfolk Broads, the Broad Authority, despite being unelected and undemocratic, claims jurisdiction over the area. However, the response from the Broad Authority and the hire boat company was disheartening.

Despite the blatant violation of Broad’s bylaws by the hire boat, the Broad Authority remained inactive. The question arises: why does the Broad Authority have these bylaws if they fail to enforce them? This incident raises concerns about the effectiveness of such regulations.

Upon contacting the hire boat company, a recurring pattern emerged in their responses. Firstly, they insisted on delaying contact with the affected parties until the end of their holiday. This approach delaying communication with an accident-involved customer, seemed illogical and inappropriate.

Additionally, it was peculiar that the hire company manager was consistently unavailable during the hiring season. This raised suspicions about the company's commitment to addressing their customer’s accidents promptly. The hire boat company suggested bringing the damaged boat to their berth yard for assessment. However, this proposition posed a significant inconvenience, requiring a six-hour round trip for me.

Faced with this impractical solution, I proposed an alternative – that the manager visit my mooring, which was only 7.2 miles away. Despite initial reluctance, the manager eventually agreed to assess the damage. However, the subsequent revelation regarding the estimated three hours of required labour for repairs was disheartening.

To add insult to injury, the hire boat company offered a mere £10 contribution for a repair job that would take at least three hours. This lacklustre response highlighted the company's disregard for the damage caused.

Feeling wholly insulted by their attitude to this matter, I took the matter into my own hands, opting to conduct the repairs independently. I communicated my decision to the hire boat company, stating my intention to bill them for the damages and associated costs. Surprisingly, they acknowledged my choice, understanding my desire to work on my vessel.

This incident sheds light on the challenges faced when the Broad Authority fails to enforce its own bylaws, allowing hire boat companies to take advantage of the situation. The lack of empathy and accountability in the hire boat industry becomes apparent, leaving private boat owners at the mercy of companies that seem to disregard their responsibilities.

In conclusion, my journey through this ordeal with the hire boat company serves as a cautionary tale for others navigating the waters of the Norfolk Broads. I pursued a resolution to this matter and I can confirm that I ultimately received financial compensation equating to twenty-five times more compensation than was initially offered. The initial offer to be honest was just a truculent and spiteful gesture by the hire boat company as no offer of £10 would cover any form of accidental damage caused in any scenario. It exemplifies the consequences when regulatory bodies fall short, and hire boat companies take liberties at the expense of those they serve.
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum