• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome To Norfolk Broads Forum.
    This website is created by the producer of Sailing High Seas Youtube channel.

Stalham Staithe Poor Trust

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
Miles
Site Admin

Stalham Staithe Poor Trust

Post by Miles » May 15th, 2019, 9:13 am

I am a little confused, in fact I am totally confused by the Poors Trust and their involvement with Stalham Staithe.
As far as Catfield and Rockland St. Mary go they collect revenue from moorings etc for the sole purpose of benefiting local people experiencing hardships. Predominantly the elderly and it dates back to the 1800s.
What are the obligations of the Trust?

These are two-fold:

* To “maintain the property of the charity”.

* To fulfil the charitable objectives stated in its constitution…“..relieving persons resident in the Parish who are in conditions of need, hardship and distress by making grants of money or providing or paying for items, services or facilities calculated to reduce (these)… ”
In addition due to the commoners losing their ability to collect fuel, I assume peat, the charity was to manage the land and enable people to receive coal for heating.

I am not going to pretend I know the ins and out of this subject but I am only going by what information I can find online which appears to be rarer than hens teeth but it leads me to wonder why Stalham Staithe is not in fact a local resident's mooring made available and used to collect revenue to support the charities causes?

Can anybody shed any light on this subject at all?

I keep hearing this name Keith Bacon but that appears to be correlated with How Hill and Catfield.

⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵