• Administrator
  •  
    Boat Crash Video Clips Wanted

Have Fishing Byelaws Changed On The Norfolk Broads?

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
Miles
Site Admin

Have Fishing Byelaws Changed On The Norfolk Broads?

Post by Miles » February 21st, 2019, 5:45 pm

I have just moored up at Sutton Staithe alongside a staithe full of boats.
Whilst coming into the one remaining space I was confronted by an elderly man and woman fishing pulling sour faces and stating they did not have to move.
He stated that the environment agency now state you don't have to move if you arrived there fishing first.
He went on to state that even though it was written on the B.A. sign it was no longer valid.
I asked him what byelaw he was referring to and he did not know the number. :roll:
On further asking if he was local, I politely asked him if he could find out for me what he was referring to.
Have I just met dumb and dumberer or have the fishing byelaws changed?

⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

avg45

Re: Have Fishing Byelaws Changed On The Norfolk Broads?

Post by avg45 » February 21st, 2019, 7:24 pm

Hi Miles, I asked the BA , some time ago what the situation would be in this case and they stated. " The Moorings at Sutton are Leased, run, and maintained by the BA, so any local bylaws do not apply, and Anglers MUST make way for boats. " It is the same as if you were fishing on private property and the owner laid down some rules. they would supercede any local rules. Hope this clarifies the situation... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Alan

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » February 21st, 2019, 8:46 pm

It is an interesting subject, as I have heard so many fisherman try to tell me they have the right not to move.
The one that really stays with me is a claim that a fisherman did not have to give way to boats wishing to moor on a parish staithe, as it was not managed by the Broads Authority.
This is of course hog wash.
The reality of the situation from what I can fathom is there is a more commonly known, right to navigate tidal waters. It is almost as archaic as the rivers themselves and dates back to a time when the rivers and seas were highways.
In addition, there is no right to navigate non-tidal waters by boats.
The reason why fisherman have to give way to boats wishing to moor is due to the requirements to keep the navigation area clear for vessels.
If a fisherman was standing on private land he would have to keep his fishing lines out of the way of passing vessels and even if the boat pulled up to the bank as the fishing lines are occupying the navigation area.
Obviously one can't jump off the boat and tie up as its private.
So it would appear that it relates to your right to navigate tidal waters. It is your right to do so freely.
It is clear that some fisherman have a problem with moving left or right a few feet and will waffle any load of justified thought nonsense in an emasculated protest.
Personally, I have had a few issues but more so with unattended rods and fisherman facing the wrong way.
With regards to mooring up, if it is the only suitable location I will voice my intention three times clearly and politely and if that does not work then I will come in anyway.
They have had their chance.
I think when it comes to silly buggers refusing to move then they can only blame themselves if they start being awkward.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

avg45

Post by avg45 » February 22nd, 2019, 4:05 pm

Totally agree Miles, I would do the same. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnS

Post by JohnS » February 22nd, 2019, 9:31 pm

Not long now till fishing closed season starts so hopefully see less gnomes. I wonder how many fishermen will be flouting the rules this year, seemed to be lots last year ;)