• Administrator
  •  
    Water in the boat is the ruin of the boat, but water under the boat is its support

Sydney Boating Regulations

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Sydney Boating Regulations

Post by Dances With Otters » January 12th, 2019, 5:18 am

I recently watched a video about the police patrolling Sydney harbour. Port Jackson I believe.
Admittedly, it is extremely busy but the police have a very different approach entirely.
Any reports or indications that a vessel is speeding or breaking any regulations and they are on top of them immediately.
They routinely perform breathalyser tests and if the vessel's helmsman is found under the influence then they are arrested.
Now, when I see around mid afternoon literally dozens of hire boats coming out in the summertime with the entire crew including the helmsman with cans of lager in hand, is it any wonder that you get private boaters like myself moaning about damage caused by hire craft.
Don't get me wrong, I like a drink myself and have drunk on numerous occasions whilst on a boat or ship, however, I now look back at that and think there is no way in hell I would repeat that. It is just mental. Technically speaking I am a professional swimmer but I know first hand that this means nothing if you fall in the river. Your chance of survival even in the summer is slim. Your ability to slip into unconsciousness is greatly enhanced when intoxicated.
I can't help but wonder why this activity is not stamped out on the Norfolk Broads.
Surely, the number of accidents would be dramatically reduced.
Sometimes it appears that the Norfolk Broads is sold to the tourists, especially younger ones as a place to come and get thrashed in a boat.
Personally, I think it's time that the truth be known that this so called national park is in fact an outright lie.
The Norfolk Broads at times is the worlds largest unregulated dodgem park.

⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

avg45

Re: Sydney Boating Regulations

Post by avg45 » January 13th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Totally agree with you, and think that anyone caught with above the Road limit of alcahol while driving a boat should be banned from driving on the road. That would stop all the drunkenness on the rivers and make us all feel safer. IE Drink when moored up!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: