London Mayor Petition - Does It Affect You?

It is the capital after all.

General Broads related posts.
High Seas
Site Admin

London Mayor Petition - Does It Affect You?

Post by High Seas » January 18th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Let all UK citizens vote on who is mayor of London not just Londoners.
Whether you are based in Norfolk or anywhere else in the U.K? London is your capital so why does your vote not count?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/205912

Liveaboard or liveathome?.....that is the question

Spindrift

Re: London Mayor Petition - Does It Affect You?

Post by Spindrift » January 22nd, 2018, 3:15 pm

I live in a London Borough and quite happy to do so. At least the public transport system runs after 6pm which is only in the dreams of Norfolk people. Our Mayor is "A Mayor For London" and deals with the affairs of us London citizens. Why should anybody from outside our Capital decide who is our Mayor? It is our decision and nobody else's. It would be an affront to us Londoners if anybody else had a say in the matter, after all, Norwich residents would be annoyed if Londoners had a say in their Mayor choice.

I suppose that people would be annoyed if their council tax went up a bit to pay for all this voting. There is not a money tree, it all comes out of the pockets of us who pay taxes. Yes, I pay council tax and income tax and all this frapping around would have to be paid for by us tax payers and personally far too much of my income goes to unproductive places and people. That is another bee in my bonnet and possibly the subject of another thread. I would certainly be annoyed if this stupid proposition was instigated.

If it 'aint broke don't fix it!

Alan.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » January 22nd, 2018, 3:23 pm

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Norwich residents would be annoyed if Londoners had a say in their Mayor choice.
Norwich is not the capital of the country.
Liveaboard or liveathome?.....that is the question

Spindrift

Post by Spindrift » January 22nd, 2018, 3:44 pm

Ok, fair enough, perhaps then the boroughs outside London should pay for it then if they want a say. Us Londoners are quite happy with the status quo. Therefore, if the rest of the country want it then they should pay for it through their council taxes and not ours.